How Many Gallons and Kilograms of Water Are Needed to Fill an Olympic-Size Pool?

• Thread starter metalmagik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume and mass of water needed to fill an Olympic-size pool with a depth of 4.8 ft. The solution involves converting the depth to meters and then using the density formula to calculate the volume in cubic meters. The volume can then be converted to gallons or liters, and the mass can be calculated using the density of water. It is important to also consider significant digits in the final answer.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

An Olympic-size pool is 50.0 m long and 25.0 m wide.
(a) How many gallons of water (d=1.0 g/mL) are needed to fill the pool to an average depth of 4.8 ft?
(b) What is the mass (in kg) of water in the pool?

Homework Equations

density = m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I almost got all of Part (a). Here's what I did:

4.8 ft x .3048m/ft = 1.46304 m

After converting the depth in feet to depth in meters, I multiplied:

1.46304 m x 50 m x 25 m = 1828.8 cubic meters.

From here I do not know how to get that Volume into gallons. I think it might work if I convert to cubic feet, then to gallons? Is that right? Once I have that I know all I have to do is use the density formula to get the mass. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
How many litres per galon? How many liter per cubic meter?

You don't need galons for the mass. What you have to do is to either convert cubic meter to mililiters or density from g/mL to kg/cubic meter.

oh okay I see. For an answer I got 18285.335. I found the conversions for gallons to L and then to mL anyway, and then I used that in d = m/V and converted to kg when I got my answer in g. Please let me know if this is not correct :-X thanks so much for your help!

Significant digits!

FAQ: How Many Gallons and Kilograms of Water Are Needed to Fill an Olympic-Size Pool?

1. What is simple volume/mass calculation?

Simple volume/mass calculation is a basic scientific process used to determine the volume or mass of an object. It involves measuring the dimensions of an object and using a formula to calculate its volume or mass.

2. What is the formula for calculating volume?

The formula for calculating volume depends on the shape of the object. For a cube or rectangular prism, the formula is V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. For a cylinder, the formula is V = π x r^2 x h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

3. How do I measure the dimensions of an object?

In order to measure the dimensions of an object, you will need a ruler or measuring tape. For a cube or rectangular prism, measure the length, width, and height in centimeters or inches. For a cylinder, measure the radius and height.

4. How do I convert from one unit to another?

To convert from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from centimeters to meters, you would multiply by 0.01. To convert from grams to kilograms, you would multiply by 0.001.

5. Can I use simple volume/mass calculation for irregularly shaped objects?

No, simple volume/mass calculation can only be used for regular shapes with known formulas. For irregularly shaped objects, you will need to use more advanced techniques such as water displacement or 3D scanning to determine their volume or mass.

Back