How many kwh of electricity would have been consumed?

• Thread starter ohheytai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, during a 4-hour winter afternoon with an outside temperature of 11° C, a house heated by electricity maintained an inside temperature of 23° C using 44 kwh of electric energy. The average energy leakage through the walls of the house to the environment was 11000 watts. If the inside temperature had been kept at 26° C, the electricity consumption would have been 13.75 kwh, assuming the rate of energy transfer between two systems is proportional to their temperature difference.
ohheytai
During 4 hours one winter afternoon, when the outside temperature was 11° C, a house heated by electricity was kept at 23° C with the expenditure of 44 kwh (kilowatt·hours) of electric energy.
(a) What was the average energy leakage in joules per second (watts) through the walls of the house to the environment (the outside air and ground)?
11000 watts

(b) The rate at which energy is transferred between two systems due to a temperature difference is often proportional to their temperature difference. Assuming this to hold in this case, if the house temperature had been kept at 26° C (78.8° F), how many kwh of electricity would have been consumed?

i got a with power/deltat
but idk how to do be someone help

Physics news on Phys.org
What is temperature difference now?
What is the new temperature difference
Proportional means if the temperature difference was twice as much the power used would be twice as much

the difference is 3 degrees so it would be 3 times as much power?

i just tried 11kw/12degrees and got .916666 so i took that and multiplied it by 15 the other change in temp and got 13.75kwh this is wrong can someone help me?

Sorry for the delay - didn't see the reply.

The temperature difference you care about is between the inside and outside of the house, not the change from part a to part b, - the temperature doesn't have a memory of what the question was!

Initial temperature difference = 23-11, later temperature difference was 26-11
How much larger is the second? As a proprtion of the first?

FAQ: How many kwh of electricity would have been consumed?

1. How is electricity consumption measured in kwh?

Electricity consumption is measured in kilowatt-hours (kwh), which is a unit of energy that represents the amount of energy consumed by a 1,000-watt appliance in one hour.

2. What factors affect the amount of kwh of electricity consumed?

The amount of kwh of electricity consumed can be affected by various factors such as the type of electrical appliance, its energy efficiency, the duration of use, and the number of appliances being used simultaneously.

3. How can I calculate the kwh of electricity consumed?

To calculate the kwh of electricity consumed, you can multiply the wattage of the appliance by the number of hours it was used. For example, if you used a 1,000-watt appliance for 4 hours, the total electricity consumption would be 4 kwh.

4. What is the average kwh of electricity consumed by households in a month?

The average kwh of electricity consumed by households in a month varies depending on factors such as location, household size, and energy usage habits. On average, households in the United States consume around 877 kwh per month.

5. How can I reduce the amount of kwh of electricity consumed in my home?

To reduce the amount of kwh of electricity consumed in your home, you can take steps such as using energy-efficient appliances, unplugging electronics when not in use, turning off lights and appliances when not needed, and using natural light instead of artificial lighting.