How Many Limit Points Does This Function Have?

• Thread starter Zhang Jiawen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the question is unclear and incomplete. The function f is defined on [0, infinity] and maps x to y^2. The question asks for the number of points at which each point in f has a limit, but it is not specified what f maps to or what is meant by a point having a limit. The context of the question may provide more information.
Zhang Jiawen
Let f be a function on [0,major infinity] such that for each point in its graph,(x,y)=(y*y,y).At how many points must each point in f have a limit...?I'm not clear what the question is aiming...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a mystery to me! I think "major infinity" must be a translation error but I have no idea what "each point in f has a limit" could mean. In what sense does a point have a limit?

Hello Zhang, welcome to PF :smile: !

You are not the only one for whom this question is unclear (witness faster typing Ivy's comment!)
My impression is that the problem statement is not quite complete: there remain a lot of questions (some of which may be answered from the context):

Normally functions are a mapping from a domain to an image (or codomain or range).

Your function maps ## x \in [0,\infty]## to what ?
If for each point in its graph x = y^2 that would mean ## f: \ x\rightarrow \sqrt x\ ## and then the question
At how many points must each point in f have a limit
can easily be answered with "at infinitely many points", but that probably wasn't intended by the exercise writer. He/she may have had in mind one of several possibilities:
  1. for all x in the domain ## x \in [0,\infty]##
  2. idem, except ...
  3. still something else
so my return question is: what is discussed in the section/chapter/episode where this exercise is given ?

By the way: I don't believe this "At how many points must each point in f" is literally quoted ... :rolleyes:

FAQ: How Many Limit Points Does This Function Have?

1. Can you explain the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems in a scientific way. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions. It is a process that is used by scientists to understand and explain the natural world.

2. Can you explain the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, based on limited evidence. It is a tentative idea that has not yet been tested or proven. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-substantiated explanation that has been repeatedly tested and supported by a large body of evidence. It is a more comprehensive and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon.

3. Can you explain the importance of peer review in scientific research?

Peer review is a process in which a scientist's work is evaluated by other experts in the same field before it is published. This helps to ensure that the research is of high quality and that any conclusions drawn are valid. It also allows for feedback and suggestions for improvement from other experts, ultimately leading to more accurate and reliable scientific findings.

4. Can you explain the difference between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data is descriptive information that is not numerical, such as observations, interviews, or images. It is used to gain a deeper understanding of a phenomenon or to generate new hypotheses. Quantitative data, on the other hand, is numerical information that can be measured and analyzed using statistical methods. It is used to test hypotheses and draw conclusions based on numerical evidence.

5. Can you explain the role of replication in scientific experiments?

Replication is the process of repeating an experiment to determine if the same results are obtained. It is an important aspect of the scientific method as it helps to ensure the validity and reliability of the results. If an experiment can be replicated multiple times with the same results, it adds strength to the conclusions drawn from the experiment. Replication also allows for verification of results by other scientists, increasing the confidence in the findings.