How Many Lines Per Millimeter Does the Diffraction Grating Have?

In summary, a diffraction grating is a device that separates light into its component wavelengths using evenly spaced parallel lines. It works by diffracting light and spreading it into a spectrum. There are two types of gratings, transmission and reflection, with different methods of achieving separation. Diffraction gratings have various applications in fields such as spectroscopy and laser technology and are made by etching grooves onto a surface or using advanced techniques like holographic lithography.
Ericv_91

Homework Statement

The figure shows the interference pattern on a screen 1.0 m behind a diffraction grating. The wavelength of the light is 600 nm. How many lines per millimeter does the grating have?

Homework Equations

lines/mm = 1/ distance between slits

The Attempt at a Solution

Quite frankly I don't have a clue how to solve this. I know that the number of lines per millimeter is equal to the inverse of the distance between slits, but what happens if there are more than 2 slits of different distances from each other? I took a shot in the dark and tried to add up the reciprocals of all the distances, but that proved to be incorrect because it gave me a very small number around 0.006. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Attachments

• Diffraction Grating.jpg
    Diffraction Grating.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 892
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Ericv_91 said:
Quite frankly I don't have a clue how to solve this. I know that the number of lines per millimeter is equal to the inverse of the distance between slits, but what happens if there are more than 2 slits of different distances from each other? I took a shot in the dark and tried to add up the reciprocals of all the distances, but that proved to be incorrect because it gave me a very small number around 0.006. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
It's hard to say where you went astray because you didn't show your work.

I'm guessing you used ##y_1=0.436~\rm m## and ##y_2=0.897~\rm m## and ended up getting to different answers for ##d##. The problem is that 0.897 m is the distance between the first- and second-order maxima, so you need to use ##y_2 ={0.897~\rm m}+y_1##.

I see @vela has already beaten me to it by 20 minutes or so. But given I’ve already drafted the following, I’ve decided to post it!

I think the OP (who will probably never read this thread) mistakenly thought that the uneven spacing of the maxima implied different line-spacings.

This is a 12+ year old question, but in case the answer is of use to someone…

From the data in the Post #1 diagram:

The first order maximum makes an angle θ₁ with the normal, where ##θ₁ = tan⁻¹ (\frac {43.6}{100}) = 23.56º##.

The diffraction grating formula (nλ = dsinθ) with n=1 and θ = θ₁ gives:
##d = \frac {1*600e-9}{sin(23.56º)}##
If we express d in units of mm, then ‘lines/mm’ = ##\frac 1 d##.

To check this value, we can repeat the process using the second order maximum.

The second order maximum is a distance 89.7cm+43.6cm = 133.3cm from the axis. So ##θ₂ = tan⁻¹ (\frac {133.3}{100}) = 53.12º##.

Using ‘nλ = dsinθ’ with n=2 and θ = θ₂ will give the same value for ‘lines/mm’ as previously calculated.

Likes Sanrasz
To add to this, d is in m when you calculate it, so multiply the resulting d value by 1000 to convert to mm, then divide 1 by the result to get the answer. (I didn't see that part and was slightly confused)

Sanrasz said:
To add to this, d is in m when you calculate it, so multiply the resulting d value by 1000 to convert to mm, then divide 1 by the result to get the answer. (I didn't see that part and was slightly confused)
Thank you for your contribution. Please note that this thread is more than two years old. The OP is unlikely to profit from it at this point.

kuruman said:
Thank you for your contribution. Please note that this thread is more than two years old. The OP is unlikely to profit from it at this point.
I don't particularly care about the OP, but this question is actually extremely common in homework problems of the fifth edition of the book that OP's question is from. (And is exactly why I was reading this thread. Everything, down to the figure matches.)

Related to How Many Lines Per Millimeter Does the Diffraction Grating Have?

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device used to separate light into its component wavelengths. It consists of a large number of evenly spaced parallel lines that act as slits, causing interference patterns when light passes through them.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it is diffracted by the evenly spaced lines, causing the light to spread out into a spectrum. The spacing between the lines determines the angle at which the different wavelengths of light are diffracted, allowing for the separation of the light into its component colors.

3. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through it, while a reflection diffraction grating reflects the light back towards the source. Both types of gratings can be used to separate light into its component wavelengths, but the method of achieving this is different.

4. What are the applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have many practical applications, including spectroscopy, laser technology, and optical communications. They are also used in scientific research to study the properties of light and to analyze the chemical composition of substances.

5. How are diffraction gratings made?

Diffraction gratings are typically made by etching grooves onto a flat surface, such as glass or metal. The spacing and depth of the grooves determine the properties of the grating, such as the wavelength of light it can separate. Advanced techniques, such as holographic lithography, can also be used to create diffraction gratings with very precise and complex patterns.