How Many Meters of 34-Gauge Wire Can Be Made from 5.01 lb of Covellite?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the length of a thin wire that can be produced from copper found in 5.01 lb of covellite, with a 66% copper content. The formula for volume of a cylinder is used to determine the volume of copper available, and then the formula for volume of a cylinder is rearranged to solve for the length of the wire. This approach helps clarify the problem and solve for the desired length.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

Copper can be drawn into thin wires. How many meters of 34-gauge wire (diameter = 6.304 x 10^-3 in) can be produced from the copper in 5.01 lb of covellite, an ore of copper that is 66% copper by mass? (Hint: Treat the wire as a cylinder. d of copper = 8.95 g/cm^3)

Homework Equations

V = (pi)(r^2)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used the formula for Volume of a cylinder, V = (pi)(r^2)(h) and plugged in half of the given diameter for r and then the whole diameter for h. And I got 1.968 x 10^-7 cubic inches. How should I go about doing the rest of the problem? It's really confusing me. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way. You are given a certain mass of covellite (5.01 lb = 2273 grams), of which 66% is copper (1500 grams). You know the density of copper, so you can calculate the volume of copper available, since

d = [tex]\frac{m}{V}[/tex]

Once you calculate the volume, you want to form the copper into the shape of a cylinder (wire), and the volume of the cylinder = volume of copper available. For a cylinder, the volume can be written

V = pi [tex]r^{2}[/tex] L

where L is the length we wish to find. Take V from the first part and solve this equation for L.

Ah man I totally get it now. I wasn't thinking of the variable in the Volume formula as length, my book labels it as h, which I interpreted for height.

Thanks so much edziura! That really helped me to clarify my thinking, all this stuff with mass is so difficult, its all over my homework which is due tomorrow, and my professor hasn't even gotten past dimensional analysis in lecture! Thanks again.

Your welcome.

Related to How Many Meters of 34-Gauge Wire Can Be Made from 5.01 lb of Covellite?

1. What is the "Copper wire length problem"?

The "Copper wire length problem" refers to the issue of electrical resistance increasing as the length of a copper wire increases. This can cause a decrease in the efficiency of electrical circuits and can lead to voltage drops and potential malfunctions.

2. Why does the length of copper wire affect electrical resistance?

As the length of a copper wire increases, the number of atoms that the electrical current must pass through also increases. This increases the chances of collisions between the current and the atoms, leading to a higher resistance and a decrease in electrical efficiency.

3. How does the thickness or diameter of the copper wire impact the "Copper wire length problem"?

The thickness or diameter of the copper wire affects the cross-sectional area through which the electrical current flows. A thicker wire has a larger cross-sectional area, allowing for more room for the current to flow and reducing the chances of collisions with atoms. This results in a lower resistance and less impact on the "Copper wire length problem".

4. Can the "Copper wire length problem" be solved?

The "Copper wire length problem" cannot be completely solved, but it can be mitigated by using thicker wires, reducing the length of the wire, or using materials with lower resistance. Additionally, proper circuit design and maintenance can also help reduce the impact of this problem.

5. Are there any alternatives to using copper wire to avoid the "Copper wire length problem"?

Yes, there are alternative materials, such as aluminum or silver, that have lower resistance than copper. However, these materials may have other drawbacks and may not be as readily available or cost-effective as copper. Therefore, copper wire remains the most commonly used material in electrical circuits despite the "Copper wire length problem".

Back