How many miles could the car go with that energy?

• Thread starter arod2812
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the distance a car can travel with a 362 mg drop of gasoline, given the information that one gallon of gasoline produces 1.1 x 10^8 J of energy and is sufficient to operate a car for twenty miles. The equation E=mc^2 is suggested but is not relevant to the problem. Instead, the density of gasoline needs to be known in order to convert gallons to kilograms and calculate the rest energy of the drop of gas. This can then be compared to the energy needed to operate the car for twenty miles.
arod2812

Homework Statement

Suppose one gallon of gasoline produces 1.1 x 10^8 J of energy, and this energy is sufficient to operate a car for twenty miles. If a 362 mg drop of gasoline could be converted completely into thermal energy, how many miles could the car go with that energy?

Homework Equations

I cannot find a conversion for 1 gallon of gasoline to kilograms. Is it even necessary?? Also, for the 362 mg drop. I know they need to be in kilograms in order for the energy to be in JOULES.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation E0=mc^2. I plugged in 1.1 x 10^8 J for the energy and I didn't know what to use for the mass but I know that once I do that I can use the value for C using the same equation, except the second time the mass would be for the 362 mg drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To convert gallons of gasoline to kilograms, you need to know the density of gasoline.

This problem has nothing to do with relativity. Don't use E=mc^2. Think about how a car engine works.

It DOES has to do with relativity because E0=mc^2 is the hint that the website (for this HW problem) gave to solve for the problem. It may not be the bulk of the problem but it is at least partially part of the process.
Also, how can i relate this problem to how a car engine works?

You are told how much energy is sufficient to operate a car for twenty miles; Calculate the rest energy of that drop of gas and compare.

I see. I misunderstood. I assumed they wanted an answer to a realistic problem. Ignore what I wrote before.

Related to How many miles could the car go with that energy?

1. How is the energy of a car measured?

The energy of a car is measured in terms of fuel efficiency, typically in miles per gallon (MPG) for gasoline cars or miles per kilowatt-hour (MPGe) for electric cars.

2. What factors affect the energy consumption of a car?

The energy consumption of a car can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of fuel used, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, driving habits, road conditions, and weather conditions.

3. Can the energy consumption of a car be improved?

Yes, the energy consumption of a car can be improved through regular maintenance, driving at a steady speed, avoiding sudden acceleration and braking, and using alternative fuels or more fuel-efficient vehicles.

4. How can I calculate the estimated distance a car can travel with a specific amount of energy?

You can calculate the estimated distance a car can travel by dividing the total energy of the fuel by the energy consumption rate of the car. For example, if a car has a 10-gallon fuel tank and gets an average of 30 MPG, it can travel approximately 300 miles before needing to refuel.

5. Does the energy consumption of a car vary for city and highway driving?

Yes, the energy consumption of a car can vary for city and highway driving. City driving typically involves more frequent stops and starts, which can decrease fuel efficiency. Highway driving, on the other hand, allows for a more consistent speed and can result in better fuel efficiency.