How Many Molecules of CO2 and Water Vapour Are in 1 Cubic Metre of Air?

• Thread starter alytal
  • Start date
In summary: How many millions in 5 x 109?In summary, in 1 m3 of atmosphere at sea level, there are 3.80 × 102 molecules of CO2 and 5.00 × 103 molecules of water vapour. With a total of 2.6 × 1025 molecules in the sample, there would be 988 x 1019 molecules of CO2 and 1.3 x 1024 molecules of water vapour.
alytal
One cubic metre (1 m3) of atmosphere at sea level contains 3.80 × 102 ppm of CO2 and 5.00 × 103 ppm of water vapour.
If there is a total of 2.6 × 1025 molecules in 1 m3 of air, calculate how many molecules of CO2 and water vapour there are in 1 m3 of air??

I just starting studying science and i´m stuck with this simple question..please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
alytal said:
One cubic metre (1 m3) of atmosphere at sea level contains 3.80 × 102 ppm of CO2 and 5.00 × 103 ppm of water vapour.
If there is a total of 2.6 × 1025 molecules in 1 m3 of air, calculate how many molecules of CO2 and water vapour there are in 1 m3 of air??

I just starting studying science and i´m stuck with this simple question..please help!

What does 3.80 × 102 ppm mean?

sjb-2812 said:
What does 3.80 × 102 ppm mean?

it means 380 ppm (parts per million)

alytal said:
it means 380 ppm (parts per million)

So, if you had a million cubic metres of atmosphere, how much of that would be carbon dioxide?

sjb-2812 said:
So, if you had a million cubic metres of atmosphere, how much of that would be carbon dioxide?

380 molecules of co2...is that simple the answer??

alytal said:
380 molecules of CO2...is that simple the answer??

No, not to the question I posed. 1 molecule does not occupy 1 m3.

However, if you had a million molecules, then yes, for this sample you would have 380 molecules of carbon dioxide. Now, how many times larger is 2.6 × 1025, compared to 1 million; or if you prefer how many millions are there in a sample that size?

sjb-2812 said:
No, not to the question I posed. 1 molecule does not occupy 1 m3.

However, if you had a million molecules, then yes, for this sample you would have 380 molecules of carbon dioxide. Now, how many times larger is 2.6 × 1025, compared to 1 million; or if you prefer how many millions are there in a sample that size?

So... (380 x 1025) / 106 = 988 x 10[19] ??
I´m very bad..i know...

Not quite, how many millions are there in 2,000,000?

sjb-2812 said:
Not quite, how many millions are there in 2,000,000?

two...

How many millions in 5 x 109?

Related to How Many Molecules of CO2 and Water Vapour Are in 1 Cubic Metre of Air?

1. What is the easiest way to solve this problem?

The easiest way to solve this problem would be to break it down into smaller, manageable steps and tackle them one at a time. This will help you stay organized and focused, making the task seem less daunting.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is by looking at similar problems and understanding the steps taken to solve them. You can also try working with a friend or mentor who can provide guidance and offer different perspectives.

3. What can I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. You can also try taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh mind. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek guidance from someone else.

4. How can I stay motivated while working on a challenging task?

Staying motivated while working on a challenging task can be difficult, but setting small, achievable goals and celebrating each success can help keep you motivated. It's also important to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.

5. How can I avoid getting overwhelmed by a difficult problem?

To avoid getting overwhelmed by a difficult problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Set a timeline for each step and prioritize which parts to tackle first. It's also important to take breaks and ask for help when needed.