How many moles of MnO4- were added?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter MrPoison
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, to solve this lab assignment, an unknown sample containing iron (II) must be titrated to the endpoint with 12.6 mL of 0.01522 M KMnO4. A total of 2x10-4 moles of KMnO4- were needed to do so. The unknown sample was found to contain 10.9% iron.
MrPoison
Hello,

I have no idea how to solve this...

The initial mass of an unknown sample containing iron (II) is 0.512 g.
12.6 mL of 0.01522 M KMnO4 is required to titrate the unknown to the endpoint.

a) How many moles of MnO4- were added?
b) How many moles of iron (II) must be present in the sample?
c) How many grams of iron (II) must be present in the sample?
d) What is the percent of iron present in the sample?

I would know b, c, d, if I would know how to solve a. b, c, d, questions are simple, but I totally don't understand how to solve a. I wrote the rest so people who don't know similar exercise could get something more out of that topic.
I know I shouldn't ask such a basics here, but I spent like an hour on YouTube and internet with no success. My professor is very unclear on every topic.

Thank you so much for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MrPoison, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Would it be any easier for you if the question was:

a) How many moles of KMnO4 were added?

because I think that's essentially what it's asking. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea, because that's what the question from the professor is. I literally rewrote it from the lab assignment.Is that right?

0.01522 moles/1 L x 0.0126L ≈ 0.0002 = 2x10-4 moles

2x10-4 x 5 = 0.001

c) How many grams of iron (II) must be present in the sample?
0.001 moles of Fe2+ x 56g Fe/1 mole Fe = 0.056g Fe

d) What is the percent of iron present in the sample?
0.056g Fe/0.512 g unknown sample x 100 = 10.9%

Last edited:
MrPoison said:
I have no idea, because that's what the question from the professor is. I literally rewrote it from the lab assignment.

Is that right?

0.01522 moles/1 L x 0.0126L ≈ 0.0002 = 2x10-4 moles
That's right. I wondered whether you were being tripped up by it asking for the Mn04- ions rather than KMnO4.
2x10-4 x 5 = 0.001
That 5 seems to have sprung from nowhere, without explanation. You'd need to account for it if you want marks for this part.

There are plenty of examples of oxidizing Fe(II) on the web for you to follow, e.g.,
http://faculty.uml.edu/james_hall/84124/16.htm

Good luck with your studies!

NascentOxygen said:
That's right.

It would be perfect, if not for the fact OP rounded it down, losing accuracy of the final result.

FAQ: How many moles of MnO4- were added?

1. What is the definition of a mole in chemistry?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains the same number of particles as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12.

2. How do you calculate the number of moles in a given amount of a substance?

To calculate the number of moles in a substance, you need to know the mass or volume of the substance and its molar mass or molarity. You can then use the formula moles = mass/molar mass or moles = volume x molarity.

3. What is the molar mass of MnO4-?

The molar mass of MnO4- (manganese (VII) ion) is 159.89 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the compound (54.94 g/mol for Mn, 4 x 16.00 g/mol for O).

4. Why is it important to know the number of moles of a substance?

The number of moles of a substance is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the amounts of different substances. It also helps in stoichiometric calculations to determine the amount of products formed in a chemical reaction.

5. How can you determine the number of moles of MnO4- that were added in a reaction?

You can determine the number of moles of MnO4- by using the molarity of the solution and the volume of the solution added. Simply multiply the molarity by the volume in liters to get the number of moles. Alternatively, you can use the mass of the substance and its molar mass to calculate the number of moles using the formula mentioned in question 2.