How Many Moles of Oxygen Gas Are Produced from Decomposing Hydrogen Peroxide?

In summary, the calculation for the number of moles of oxygen gas produced from the decomposition of a 6.60ml sample of a 3.5% solution of H2O2 involves finding the mass of the solution, converting it to moles of H2O2, and then using the balanced chemical equation to find the moles of oxygen. However, there were errors in the calculations, including using the wrong molar mass for H2O2 and confusing moles of atomic oxygen with moles of oxygen gas. The final answer should have the correct number of significant digits to be accepted.
chakakhan

Homework Statement

Calculate the number of moles of oxygen gas produced from the completely catalyzed decomposition of 6.60ml sample of a 3.5% solution of H2O2. The density of the 3.5% solution of H2O2 is 1.01 g/ml.

Homework Equations

2(H2O2) --> 2(H2O) + O2
p=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I used. 1.01g/ml=m/6.6ml to get 6.1206g of the solution
Multiplied 6.1206 by .035 to get .214221g H2O2
.214221g H2O2(1mol H2O2/18.016g H202)(2 mol O/2mol H2O2)(16g O/1 mol O) yields .1897g O
.1897g O (1 mol O/16g O) yields .0118 mol O. This answer was rejected. I even tried .0236 since the equation shows O2, just to be sure. Wrong as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
If O is 16 g/mole, and H is 1 g/mole then H2O2 is ? g/mole? Not 18.016.

Right, I caught that. It should be 34.016g. I ran the same calculations with that number, but to no avail.
There was also actually 6.666g of solution, but what I've tried with that number is still wrong.

Please show your results now - there are several problems with the way you calculated amount of oxygen, but as you corrected some of them it is not clear what is the current version of your calculations, so it is not possible to check it.

Moles of oxygen gas means moles of O2. But

chakakhan said:
.0118 mol O. This answer was rejected. I even tried .0236 since the equation shows O2

this is wrong - 0.0118 mol of atomic O is not equivalent to 0.0236 moles of O2.

It is also possible system rejects answer that is technically correct, but has wrong number of significant digits.

I would first check my calculations to ensure they are correct. It appears that there is a mistake in the conversion from grams of H2O2 to moles of O2. The correct calculation should be:

0.214221g H2O2 (1mol H2O2/34.0147g H2O2) (2 mol O2/2 mol H2O2) (32g O2/1 mol O2) = 0.012 mol O2

Therefore, the number of moles of oxygen gas produced from the decomposition of the 6.60ml sample of 3.5% H2O2 solution is 0.012 moles. It is important to always double check calculations and units to ensure accurate results.

Related to How Many Moles of Oxygen Gas Are Produced from Decomposing Hydrogen Peroxide?

1. What is the formula for calculating the moles of oxygen gas?

The formula for calculating the moles of oxygen gas is n = PV/RT, where n is the number of moles, P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do I determine the pressure and volume of oxygen gas?

The pressure and volume of oxygen gas can be determined by using a barometer and a graduated cylinder, respectively. The barometer measures the atmospheric pressure while the graduated cylinder measures the volume of gas collected.

3. What is the gas constant and how is it used in the calculation?

The gas constant, also known as the ideal gas constant, is a universal constant used in the ideal gas law equation (PV = nRT). It has a value of 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K. It is used to convert the units of pressure, volume, and temperature to the correct units for the calculation of moles of oxygen gas.

4. Can I calculate the moles of oxygen gas without knowing the temperature?

No, the temperature is a crucial factor in calculating the moles of oxygen gas. The ideal gas law equation requires the temperature to be in Kelvin. Without the temperature, the calculation cannot be completed accurately.

5. How can I use the calculated moles of oxygen gas in other calculations?

The calculated moles of oxygen gas can be used in various equations, such as the mole ratio in a chemical reaction or to determine the mass of oxygen gas present. It is also used in the ideal gas law to calculate other properties of gas, such as pressure or volume.