How many Numbers can appear as product?

In summary, the problem states that we need to find a product of three sums of three prime numbers that can be between 1999 to 2021. Using modified trial and error, we can assume the three prime numbers as p < q < r and consider the different cases for p, q, and r. By checking the possible candidates of 2000, 2008, and 2016, we find that only 2016 meets the condition of having three even numbers as factors and being expressed as the sum of three prime numbers. Therefore, the only number between 1999 and 2021 that can appear as such a product is 2016.
Marcelo Arevalo
We increase by 1 each of three prime numbers, not necessarily distinct. Then we
form the product of these three sums. How many numbers between 1999 to 2021
can appear as such a product?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Modified Trial & Error Solution :
Assume the three prime numbers as p < q < r, we consider the different cases for p,
q and r.

For the case of 2016= 2^5 x 3^2 x 7 , we now express 2016 as the product of three even
numbers in which some are greater than or equal to 3:
2016 = 3 x 4 x 168, where 3 = 2 +1, 4 = 3+1, 168 =167 + 1. But 2, 3 and 167 are prime numbers, so it meets
the condition of the problem. Hence, 2016 is the solution.
For the case of 2019 = 3 x 673, in the three factors except the prime number 3 the
other two numbers are both neither even number greater than 3, so has not met the
condition.
Based on all the cases above, we conclude that between 1999 to 2021, there is one
that meets the condition of the problem and that is 2016.

answers on the book, I don't quite understand his explanation.
been squeezing my head to come up with explanation still I din't get how they did it. can anyone here help me to understand it further?? thank you.

Last edited:
Because all 3 numbers are even so we get product as multiple of 8
now the possible candidates are 2000, 2008 and 2016.
each of these to be checked.
I do not have an elegant way to analyse
2000 = 2^4 * 5^3

now 5 *2 is not a factor meeting criteria as 9 is not prime. 5*2^2 is (19+1) but there is not enough 2 (as 2^2 has to go) to give 3 even numbers

2008 = 8 * 501= 8 * 3 * 167 and as 8 is $2^3$ and it does not have 3 odd factors it is out

you have found for 2016.

Sorry It took me a while to fully understood this number theory.

Related to How many Numbers can appear as product?

1. How many numbers can appear as product of two numbers?

A finite number of numbers can appear as product of two numbers. This is because the set of real numbers is infinite, but the set of whole numbers is finite, and the product of two whole numbers will always result in another whole number.

2. Is there a limit to how large the product of two numbers can be?

There is no theoretical limit to how large the product of two numbers can be. However, in practical terms, the product of two numbers can be limited by the precision of the calculation method and the available computing power.

3. Can the product of two numbers be a fraction or a decimal?

Yes, the product of two numbers can be a fraction or a decimal. This can happen when one or both of the numbers being multiplied are fractions or decimals, or when the numbers being multiplied are irrational numbers such as pi or square roots.

4. Are there any numbers that cannot appear as product of two numbers?

Yes, there are numbers that cannot appear as product of two numbers. These numbers are called prime numbers, and they can only be divided by 1 and themselves. Therefore, the only way for a prime number to appear as a product is by multiplying it by 1, which does not change its value.

5. Can negative numbers be the product of two numbers?

Yes, negative numbers can be the product of two numbers. This can happen when one or both of the numbers being multiplied are negative, or when the numbers being multiplied are positive and negative, resulting in a negative product.