How Many Parameters Are Needed to Parametrize the 3-Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of parameters and the dimensions of rotations in different spaces, particularly in relation to spheres and Lie groups. The dimension of the rotation group of n space is determined to be n(n-1)/2 using induction and the fact that rotations act transitively and without fixed points on certain bundles over spheres. The Ehresmann connection and Levi-Civita are mentioned as different connections.
jk22
The equation is $$\|\left(\begin{array} &a\\b\\c\\d\end{array}\right)\|^2=1$$

I was wondering if the number of parameters is 6 and not 3, since we can consider rotations in the differents planes : we choose 2 directions among 4 hence $$C^4_2=6$$ possibilities ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3-sphere is not the same thing as the set of rotations in 4 dimensions.

indeed, the set that keep a direction fixed has to subtracted hence $$C^n_2-C^{n-1}_2=n-1$$ which seems more correct. Thanks.

The easy way to see that it must be ##n-1## is that it is a level surface of a function in ##\mathbb R^n##.

Likes WWGD
jk22 said:
indeed, the set that keep a direction fixed has to subtracted hence $$C^n_2-C^{n-1}_2=n-1$$ which seems more correct. Thanks.

The rotations of ##R^4## that keep a point in the 3 sphere fixed are the subset of rotations of the orthogonal 3 dimensional plane (not 2 dimensional).

These rotations are three dimensional since the dimension of the rotations of 3 space is 3. The rotations of ##R^4## are six dimensional so the 3 sphere has dimension three by your argument. That is: the three sphere has dimension ##6-3##.

For the 4 sphere the rotations that keep a point fixed are the subset of rotations of the 4 dimensional orthogonal plane.

So by your argument the dimension of ##S^4## is the dimension of the rotations of ##R^5## minus the dimension of the rotations of ##R^4## which is ##10 - 6##.

In general the dimension of the rotation group of ##R^n## is ##.5n(n-1)##

Last edited:
i.e. by these arguments, the dimension of the rotation group of n space = dim of n-1 sphere + dim of rotation group of n-1 space = (n-1) + (n-2) + ...+2+1 = n(n-1)/2, using induction. nice observation.

Orodruin said:
The easy way to see that it must be ##n-1## is that it is a level surface of a function in ##\mathbb R^n##.
This is also a nice, high-level way of showing it is a manifold.

Likes lavinia
I like ##\mathbb{S}^n = \operatorname{SO}(n+1)/\operatorname{SO}(n)## which sums it up.

Likes Orodruin
fresh_42 said:
I like ##\mathbb{S}^n = \operatorname{SO}(n+1)/\operatorname{SO}(n)## which sums it up.
Guess you are more into Lie Theory/ Geometric group theory than I am.

WWGD said:
I don't think you need to be so much into Lie theory to appreciate it, it has a very nice visual interpretation. A point on the sphere ##\mathbb S^n## is picking one out of ##n+1## direction, whereas a rotation in ##\mathbb R^{n+1}## is fixing all ##n+1## directions. Since you do not care about what happens the other directions on ##\mathbb S^n##, you can rotate at will around it and will still end up with your direction being the same, which is a ##SO(n)## freedom.

WWGD said:
##\mathbb{S}^n = \operatorname{SO}(n+1)/\operatorname{SO}(n)##
also shows that the sphere is a manifold.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
mathwonk said:
i.e. by these arguments, the dimension of the rotation group of n space = dim of n-1 sphere + dim of rotation group of n-1 space = (n-1) + (n-2) + ...+2+1 = n(n-1)/2, using induction. nice observation.

Another way to get the induction is to observe first that ##SO(3)## acts transitively and without fixed points on the tangent circle bundle of the ##2## sphere. The action is the differential of the action on ##S^2##. So ##SO(3)## is diffeomorphic to the tangent circle bundle of ##S^2## and has dimension ##3##.

##SO(4)## acts transitively on the tangent ##2## sphere bundle of ##S^3## but not without fixed points since the tangent sphere at a rotation axis point will itself have a rotation axis.

But its differential (this is the differential of the differential of the action of ##SO(4)## by rotations on ##S^3##) does act transitively and without fixed points on the bundle of circles tangent to the fiber ##2## spheres. This bundle is a six manifold (##3 + 2 + 1##).

For ##SO(5)## one needs three differentials to get a transitive fixed point free action on the bundle of tangent fiber circles over the bundle of tangent fiber ##2## spheres over the bundle of tangent ##3## spheres over the ##4## sphere. So ##SO(5)## is ##10## dimensional (##4+3+2+1##).

In general ##SO(n)## acts transitively and without fixed points by repeated differentials on a circle bundle over a tower of sphere bundles over ##S^{n-1}##. The fiber dimensions in the tower are ##(n-2) + (n-3)+... +1## so adding in the dimension of ##S^{n-1}## gives dimension ##n(n-1)/2##.

Last edited:
I take it back, I guess, I am way less into Lie Theory /Geometric Group theory than most.

WWGD said:
I take it back, I guess, I am way less into Lie Theory /Geometric Group theory than most.

Since you are interested in fiber bundles you might like to learn a little about the classical groups and their quotient spaces. Steenrod's Topology of Fiber Bundles goes into this.

WWGD said:
lavinia said:
Since you are interested in fiber bundles you might like to learn a little about the classical groups and their quotient spaces. Steenrod's Topology of Fiber Bundles goes into this.
... or help me to figure out (by foot) why the Ehresmann connection is a connection and how it is different from Levi-Civita. :wink:

lavinia said:
Thanks, I am indeed, but I found his book a bit dry for my taste. Can you think of any other good books, links, videos on this topic?

WWGD said:
Thanks, I am indeed, but I found his book a bit dry for my taste. Can you think of any other good books, links, videos on this topic?
I know a good one for the groups, but not so much for the bundles.

WWGD said:
Not off hand. I will look around.

fresh_42 said:
... or help me to figure out (by foot) why the Ehresmann connection is a connection and how it is different from Levi-Civita. :wink:
Sure. How shall we start?

lavinia said:
Sure. How shall we start?
Thanks, really. However, I should start a new thread for this. I also need to give some preliminaries, as e.g. where to start, and what for. I'll let you know via a quote, but thanks again.

Related to How Many Parameters Are Needed to Parametrize the 3-Sphere?

1. What is parametrization of the 3-sphere?

The 3-sphere, or hypersphere, is a higher-dimensional analog of a sphere in 3-dimensional space. Parametrization refers to finding a way to represent all points on the 3-sphere using a set of parameters or coordinates.

2. Why is parametrization important for studying the 3-sphere?

Parametrization allows us to understand and analyze the properties of the 3-sphere in a more systematic and mathematical way. It also helps us visualize and manipulate the 3-sphere, which is essential for further study and applications.

3. How is the 3-sphere parametrized?

The 3-sphere can be parametrized using four coordinates, known as hyperspherical coordinates. These coordinates are similar to spherical coordinates, but with an additional angle that accounts for the extra dimension. Alternatively, the 3-sphere can also be parametrized using quaternions.

4. What are some applications of parametrization of the 3-sphere?

Parametrization of the 3-sphere has applications in various fields such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to study higher-dimensional spaces, develop algorithms for 3D rotations, and solve problems in celestial mechanics and relativity.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations with parametrization of the 3-sphere?

One challenge with parametrization of the 3-sphere is that it can be difficult to visualize and understand, as it involves an extra dimension. Additionally, there are different ways to parametrize the 3-sphere, and each may have its own limitations or drawbacks depending on the application.