How Many Paths Can an Ant Take on a Cube with a Black Hole?

What about when N=1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15, etc?In summary, the ant can travel on a cube with one black hole and make N moves in total, but cannot pass through the black hole. The number of different paths that lead the ant back to its original vertex after these N moves is given by 2a²+b²+c² for N = 4k and 2a²+b² for N = 4k+2, where k is a non-negative integer and a, b, and c are also integers. For N = 0, there is 1 way, for N = 2,
Canada_Whiz
Suppose an ant is on a vertex of a cube. On one of the three vertices neighboring the ant, there is a black hole. On each move, the ant travels to one of it's neighboring vertices, being careful not to pass through the black hole. The ant makes N moves in total. How many different paths lead the ant back to his original vertex after these N moves?

NOTE: The answer is in terms of N. Also, the ant may cross an edge he has already crossed, so long as he does NOT go through the black hole.

My Data:
For N=0, there is 1 way
For N=2, there are 2 ways
For N=4, there are 8 ways
For N=2z+1, there are 0 ways

Help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
this closely related to graph theory so may be better posted in the calc and beyond forum

i agree it can't be done in an odd number of moves, however based on a quick count for N = 4, i get 5, not 8? I'm assuming the ant must travel along an edge

I got 10 ways for N = 4.

From a certain angle, the black hole will be on the backside and will therefore not show. For that reason, you can draw a simple 2D-model of the cube. (That is probably not so hard to see.)

Anyway, you could probably divide N by two, and count all the possible paths to a certain vertex and then square the number (to get the number of possible paths back, through this point).
You can then do the same with the other vertices. It makes it easier, at least for the first few values of N.

By doing this, I got:
For N = 4k, the number of possible paths can be written as 2a²+b²+c²
For N = 4k+2, the number of possible paths can be written as 2a²+b²
(for any non-negative integer k, where a, b and c also are integers).

I'll give you more hints if I solve the problem.

I'll work on the problem.

Last edited:
Hmm, I would start by doing one move, and then split the rest of the path into pairs of moves, and then end the path by doing one last move.

Let's make this 2D, so it's easier to see …

draw a horizontal rectangle, divide it vertically into two, and join the two bottom corners with a V …

that's 7 vertices, and you have to start from, and return to, the bottom of the V. :smile:

...A
../..\
./...\
|\.../|
|.\./.|
.\.|./
..\|/

A is the starting node, and the dots above are just for spacing. Hopefully the picture agrees with what the Yayness said (and is equivalent to Tiny Tim's, after a massage and turned upside down). Imagine the black hole being the node you can't see in a 3D cube giving the above image with 7 nodes & 9 edges

I can still only see 6 different routes for N = 4?

FAQ: How Many Paths Can an Ant Take on a Cube with a Black Hole?

What is "Ant On A Cube Counting Paths"?

"Ant On A Cube Counting Paths" is a mathematical puzzle that involves an ant starting from one corner of a cube and attempting to reach the opposite corner by traveling only on the edges of the cube. The puzzle asks how many unique paths the ant can take to reach the opposite corner.

How is "Ant On A Cube Counting Paths" solved?

The puzzle can be solved using combinatorics and graph theory. By breaking down the cube into smaller subproblems and applying mathematical principles, we can find the total number of unique paths the ant can take.

What are the applications of "Ant On A Cube Counting Paths"?

Solving this puzzle can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also has applications in computer programming and game design, where finding the most efficient path between two points is crucial.

What are some challenges in solving "Ant On A Cube Counting Paths"?

One of the main challenges is keeping track of all the possible paths the ant can take without getting lost or repeating paths. Another challenge is understanding the underlying mathematical principles and applying them correctly.

Are there any variations of "Ant On A Cube Counting Paths"?

Yes, there are variations of this puzzle that involve different starting and ending points, different shapes (such as a pyramid or a dodecahedron), and different rules (such as allowing the ant to move diagonally). These variations can make the puzzle more challenging and require different approaches to solve.