How many peaks in the interference pattern?

In summary, a diffraction experiment with electrons of kinetic energy 110 eV scattered from a crystal results in a first maximum in intensity at an angle θ=10.7. To determine the number of peaks in the interference pattern, we can use the equation 2d sinθ = nλ, where n represents the number of peaks and d is the spacing between atom planes. With n=1, we can solve for d. To find the number of peaks, we can look for values of n where the equations start giving un-physical results, such as imaginary angles. In this case, we start getting imaginary numbers at n=6, suggesting that there are 5 peaks in the interference pattern.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

In a diffraction experiment in which electrons of kinetic energy 110 eV are scattered from a crystal, a first maximum in the intensity of the scattered electrons occurs at an angle θ=10.7
a) How many peaks will there be in the interference pattern?
b) What is the spacing between the atom planes?

Homework Equations

2d sinθ = nλ
λ = h/p = h/√(2m KE)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the kinetic energy of the electron I found the wavelength to be 1.17*10^-10 m , then I don't understand how to use it in that equation, I believe n is the number of peaks, and d is the spacing, so how would I solve this equation while two variables are missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
n is the number of a given peak (well, the pair of peaks placed symmetrically about the centerline, where the central peak is for n = 0).

You're given the angle of the first peak for which n = 1. That should get you going. For more detail, take a look at the Hyperphysics entry on diffraction gratings.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/grating.html

gneill said:
n is the number of a given peak (well, the pair of peaks placed symmetrically about the centerline, where the central peak is for n = 0).

You're given the angle of the first peak for which n = 1. That should get you going. For more detail, take a look at the Hyperphysics entry on diffraction gratings.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/grating.html
Oh ok, so having n=1 will help me solve for the d, but how do I find how many peaks there are then?

Abdul.119 said:
Oh ok, so having n=1 will help me solve for the d, but how do I find how many peaks there are then?
Usually you'd look for values of n where the equations start giving un-physical results (like imaginary angles, or impossible (real) values for a trig function).

gneill said:
Usually you'd look for values of n where the equations start giving un-physical results (like imaginary angles, or impossible (real) values for a trig function).
Solving for the angle θ, I start getting imaginary numbers at n=6, so that means there are 5 peaks?

Abdul.119 said:
Solving for the angle θ, I start getting imaginary numbers at n=6, so that means there are 5 peaks?
Sounds reasonable. Those would be pairs of peaks, and don't forget symmetry and the central peak.

gneill said:
Sounds reasonable. Those would be pairs of peaks, and don't forget symmetry and the central peak.
Okay, thank you very much for the help

Related to How many peaks in the interference pattern?

1. How is the interference pattern created?

The interference pattern is created when two or more waves with the same wavelength intersect and interact with each other. This causes the waves to either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark regions.

2. What factors affect the number of peaks in the interference pattern?

The number of peaks in the interference pattern is affected by the wavelength of the waves, the distance between the sources of the waves, and the angle at which the waves intersect.

3. Can the number of peaks in the interference pattern be predicted?

Yes, the number of peaks in the interference pattern can be predicted using the formula n = d*sin(theta)/lambda, where n is the number of peaks, d is the distance between the sources, theta is the angle at which the waves intersect, and lambda is the wavelength of the waves.

4. Why do we see more peaks in some interference patterns than others?

The number of peaks in an interference pattern depends on the constructive and destructive interference between the waves. If the waves are in phase (constructive interference), more peaks will be visible. If the waves are out of phase (destructive interference), fewer peaks will be visible.

5. How can the number of peaks in the interference pattern be used in scientific research?

The number of peaks in the interference pattern can be used to determine the wavelength of the waves, which can provide valuable information in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used to study the properties of different materials and structures.