How Many People Can an Elevator Safely Accommodate?

In summary, to safely accommodate passengers, an elevator with a maximum tension of 19000N and a mass of 520 kg, with a maximum acceleration of 2.16 m/s^2, can hold a total of 8 people with an average mass of 65 kg each. This is calculated using the equation T-(me+mp)g=(me+mp)a.
darklich21

Homework Statement

An elevator cable can stand a maximum tension of 19000N before breaking. The elevator has a mass of 520 kg, and a maximum acceleration of 2.16 m/s^2. Engineering safety standards require that the cable tension never exceed two-thirds of the breaking tension. How many 65-kg people can the elevator safely accommodate? round down to the nearest integer

Homework Equations

ma=T-mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so this is what I did, I tried to come up with an equation for the total mass the elevator can handle

ma=T-mg
T=mg +ma
m=T/(g+a)

T= (2/3)(19,000N)= 126667.67
g=9.8m/s^2
a=2.16m/s^2

So i plugged everything in:

m= [(12,6667.67)/(9.8+2.16)] / 65.0kg and it came out to be around 16.3 kg, which i rounded down to 16 people, and apparently this answer is wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you are sort of on the right track. The reason you are getting the wrong answer is because you only have one m in your equation. When you write ma=T-mg, the m represents the mass of the elevator plus the total mass of the people. Since you know the total mass of the elevator, you can go through all the work and solve for the total mass of the people and then divide by 65. This should give you the correct answer. So you can check, my equation looks like this: T-(me+mp)g=(me+mp)a, where me is the mass of the elevator and mp is the total mass of the people.

ah, yes, i forgot the mass of the elevator, i got 8.3, which i rounded down to 8 ppl, thanks

Related to How Many People Can an Elevator Safely Accommodate?

1. What is the "Elevator cable tension problem"?

The "Elevator cable tension problem" refers to the issue of maintaining proper tension on the cables that support an elevator car. This is essential for the safe and smooth operation of the elevator.

2. What causes the elevator cable tension problem?

The main cause of the elevator cable tension problem is wear and tear on the cables over time. Other factors that can contribute to this issue include improper maintenance, extreme weather conditions, and mechanical malfunctions.

3. What are the consequences of an elevator cable tension problem?

If the elevator cable tension problem is not addressed, it can lead to various safety hazards, such as the elevator car getting stuck between floors, sudden drops, or even complete collapse. It can also cause inconvenience and disruptions in the building's operations.

4. How is the elevator cable tension problem diagnosed?

Elevator technicians use specialized equipment to measure the tension on the cables and determine if it is within the recommended range. They also conduct visual inspections to check for any signs of wear or damage on the cables.

5. What are the solutions for the elevator cable tension problem?

The best solution for the elevator cable tension problem is regular maintenance and inspections by qualified technicians. If the problem is detected, the cables may need to be adjusted, repaired, or replaced. In some cases, upgrades to the elevator system may also be necessary to prevent future tension problems.