How many sig figs do i use when making conversions

• Thread starter kevinlikesphysics
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is about a homework problem where the student has to convert meters to kilometers and cups to mililiters. The student is unsure of how to calculate sig figures, and is asking for help. The conversion factor applies, and the student is limited to two significant figures.
kevinlikesphysics

Homework Statement

I have to do a bunch of problems such as converting meter to km and cups to mililiters etc. How do i calculate sig figures for these problems

for example

i did 12 miles to kilometers

12 miles x 1.609 km/1mile = 19.308 km = 19 km ? do i leave the sig figs at 19.308 or do i change the answer to 19 to make the answer only 2 signigicant figures? because 12 miles is only 12 sig figs i made the answer two is that correct...thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How many significant figures in your final result depends on the the starting accuracy of your information. In your case, you began with two figures, "12". You should keep TWO significant figures for your result, in your case, "19 km".

awesome thanks ...so the conversion ratio doesn't apply at all in these cases then right?

kevinlikesphysics said:
awesome thanks ...so the conversion ratio doesn't apply at all in these cases then right?

The conversion factor definitely applies. The limitation on significant figures depends on which number has the smallest amount of significant figures in the conversion expression. In your case, your 12 miles is what restricts you to two signif. figure. Your conversion factor has plenty of figures.
...in fact your conversion factor would limit you to FIVE significant figures; but since your number to convert only has TWO sigfigs, you are limited to two significant figures.

Note that some conversion factors are exact by definition, and can be considered to have an infinite number of significant figures.

Examples:
1 cm = 0.01 m
1 foot = 12 inches
1 inch = 2.54 cm

kevinlikesphysics said:
12 miles to kilometers

Could be my English fails me, but this sounds ambiguous to me. Is it 12 miles as measured (in which case it has 2 significant digits) or is it exactly 12 miles (12 is an integer, in which case it has infinite number of SD)?

I would interpret that as having two significant figures.

I agree, "12 miles" has 2 sig figs. I can't imagine a situation, in real life, where you would know something is exactly 12 miles.

Redbelly98 said:
I agree, "12 miles" has 2 sig figs. I can't imagine a situation, in real life, where you would know something is exactly 12 miles.

12 miles is exactly 12 miles :smile:

Note, that HallsofIvy to some extent confirmed ambiguity writing "I would interpret". I would interpret the question the same way most likely, assuming it is 2 SD. But it is just an interpretation.

Question doesn't state whether it asks about the real world measurements, or about abstract conversion factors. I can easily imagine student that interprets 12 as an exact number and gives 19.312128 km as an answer. Not accepting this answer when the exact meaning of the question is open to interpretation will be IMHO wrong.

If the question would say something like "I have measured distance between my home and school to be 12 miles, how far it is in km", that'll be completely different story.

One might have been given the problem of determining how many miles were in 10,560 fathoms...

In that case the number of sig figs is not 2.

FAQ: How many sig figs do i use when making conversions

1. How do I determine the number of significant figures when making conversions?

When converting between units, the number of significant figures in the final answer should match the number of significant figures in the original value with the fewest significant figures. For example, if you are converting 3.14 meters to inches, since 3.14 has 3 significant figures, your final answer should also have 3 significant figures.

2. Do I include zeros when counting significant figures in conversions?

When counting significant figures in a number, zeros are only counted if they are between non-zero digits or at the end of a decimal number. In conversions, this means that zeros at the end of a number, such as in 10.00 meters, are significant and should be included in the final answer. However, leading zeros, such as in 0.0012 grams, are not significant and should not be counted.

3. How do I round my final answer when converting with significant figures?

The final answer in a conversion should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the original value with the fewest significant figures. To round, start from the first non-zero digit and count the number of digits until you reach the desired number of significant figures. If the next digit is 5 or higher, round up the previous digit. If the next digit is 4 or lower, leave the previous digit as is.

4. Do I need to include units when counting significant figures in conversions?

Units do not affect the number of significant figures in a conversion. Therefore, when counting significant figures, only consider the numerical value and not the units. However, when writing the final answer, make sure to include the correct units based on the conversion factor.

5. Can I use scientific notation when working with significant figures in conversions?

Yes, scientific notation can be used when working with significant figures in conversions. When converting a number to scientific notation, the digits before the decimal point determine the number of significant figures. For example, if you convert 5000 meters to scientific notation, the number of significant figures is 1, since there is only one non-zero digit before the decimal point. However, when converting back from scientific notation, the final answer should be rounded to the correct number of significant figures.

Back