How many silver bars can a raft made of whole logs bear?

• Thread starter fbaran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver
In summary, the speaker is writing a novel and seeking help from the expert community to figure out a physics-related plot point. The novel is set in 1845 and involves moving 6000 silver bars, each weighing 10 pounds, down a river 140 miles using rafts made of whole pine logs and operated by 9 people. The speaker wants the scenario to be realistic and asks for help in determining the number and size of barges needed to transport the weight, making the assumption that each barge can carry one automobile.
fbaran
I am writing a novel and know I need physics to figure out a plot point , but I am not proficient in that subject so am turning to the expert community to see if someone can help.

It is 1845. We have six thousand silver bars, each ten pounds, to move by river about 140 miles downstream. I have lots of Indian labor who will build rafts of whole pine logs to stack the bars on and pole them down the river. There will be about 9 people on the raft as well.

How many barges of what size would we need, each carrying how much weight?

This is fiction, so we can make all kinds of assumptions. But I want it to be realistic. I don't want one of you reading my book someday and start laughing at my lack of physics knowledge!

Thanks, Fain

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sixty thousand pounds is a helluva lot of weight! Roughly equal to maybe 25 automobiles. How many automobiles would you intuitively imagine one of your log barges is capable of carrying? Well it depends on how big you make them, but I have trouble picturing more than one automobile per barge. The more the better, but I'd say at least 20-30.

Related to How many silver bars can a raft made of whole logs bear?

1. How do you determine the weight capacity of a raft made of whole logs?

The weight capacity of a raft made of whole logs can be determined by calculating the total volume of the logs and multiplying it by the density of the wood. This will give you the maximum weight the raft can support without sinking.

2. How many silver bars can a raft made of whole logs typically support?

The weight capacity of a raft made of whole logs can vary depending on the size and type of logs used, as well as the quality of construction. However, on average, a raft made of whole logs can support anywhere from 500 to 1000 pounds of weight.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect the weight capacity of a raft made of whole logs?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the weight capacity of a raft made of whole logs. These include the distribution of weight on the raft, the water conditions, and any added weight from cargo or passengers.

4. Can a raft made of whole logs support more weight if it is reinforced or modified?

Yes, reinforcing or modifying a raft made of whole logs can increase its weight capacity. For example, adding support beams or using larger, denser logs can help increase the weight capacity of the raft.

5. Is there a maximum weight limit for a raft made of whole logs?

There is no set maximum weight limit for a raft made of whole logs, as it will depend on the factors mentioned above. However, it is important to not overload the raft beyond its weight capacity to ensure safe and stable navigation on the water.