HOw many solutions does this echelon matrix have? Mine isn't right :\

In summary: I could help! In summary, there are no solutions for the first augmented matrix, a unique solution for the second, a unique solution for the third, and infinitely many solutions for the fourth.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone
The reduced row-echelon forms of the augmented matrices of four systems are given below. How many solutions does each system have?
Here is the matrices:
1 0 -12 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0

A. Infinitely many solutions
B. No solutions
C. Unique solution
D. None of the above
I said No solutions because 0 does not equal 1

0 1 0 -15
0 0 1 7

A. No solutions
B. Unique solution
C. Infinitely many solutions
D. None of the above

I said Unqiue solution because y = 1, z = 7.

1 0 0 8
0 0 1 0

A. Unique solution
B. Infinitely many solutions
C. No solutions
D. None of the above

I said unique solution because, y = 8, and z = 0;

1 0 11
0 1 9
0 0 0
A. Unique solution
B. No solutions
C. Infinitely many solutions
D. None of the above

I said Infinitely many solutions because you have a line of 0 0 0.
NOw i submitted the answer but it said at least 1 is wrong, so i don't know iif they are all wrong or just 1 of them, any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since these are the reduced row-echelon forms of the augmented matrices, remember that the last column represents the constant and that every row is still an equation.

After having reduced them, you can leave out all the 0 row's, that means row that have all 0's in every column. These are superfluous.

When you end up with exactly the same number of equations (eq) as variables (var), then there is a unique solution.
If you end up with less eq than var, there will be infinitely many solutions.

But! You have to be careful if you get rows which have 0's for all the coëfficiënts but not 0 in the last column, of the constant. Back translated into an equation, this means something like [tex]0x+0y+0z=c[/tex], with c a constant different from 0. That is of course, not possible. In this case, your system has no solutions.

thanks! I think i got this right...
So for
1 0 -12 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1

no solutions because 0 != 1

0 1 0 -15
0 0 1 7

unqiue solution

1 0 0 8
0 0 1 0
unqiue solution

1 0 11
0 1 9
0 0 0
Infin. many solutions becuase we got a 0 0 0

Although you have a 0-row in the last one, you still end up with an equal amount of unknowns and equations, so that yields a unique solution. You only have infinite solutions if your system is underdeterminate, that means that you end up with more variables than equations so you get to "choose" one or more variables (let x = s etc...)

Thanks again TD! it worked fine after a few tries!

Great :smile:

Related to HOw many solutions does this echelon matrix have? Mine isn't right :\

1. How do I know if my echelon matrix is correct?

The easiest way to check if your echelon matrix is correct is to make sure that all of the leading coefficients (the first non-zero number in each row) are to the right of the leading coefficients in the rows above them. Additionally, all rows consisting entirely of zeros should be at the bottom of the matrix.

2. Can an echelon matrix have more than one solution?

Yes, an echelon matrix can have more than one solution. This typically occurs when there are one or more free variables in the matrix, causing there to be infinitely many possible solutions.

3. What does it mean if my echelon matrix has no solutions?

If your echelon matrix has no solutions, it means that the system of equations represented by the matrix is inconsistent. In other words, there is no set of values that will satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

4. How does the rank of an echelon matrix affect the number of solutions?

The rank of an echelon matrix is equal to the number of non-zero rows in the matrix. The number of solutions is affected by the rank because it determines the number of independent equations in the system. If the rank is equal to the number of variables, there is a unique solution. If the rank is less than the number of variables, there are infinitely many solutions. If the rank is greater than the number of variables, there are no solutions.

5. Can I use row operations to change the number of solutions in an echelon matrix?

Yes, row operations can be used to change the number of solutions in an echelon matrix. By performing row operations, you can simplify the matrix and potentially eliminate any free variables, leading to a unique solution. However, it is important to note that row operations must be performed correctly in order to maintain the same solution set.