How Many Solutions To ##z^{1/4}##

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: The principal argument is the unique angle in the range (-\pi,\pi], and the principal value is the corresponding real number.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Is ##z^{1/4}## multi-valued or single-valued? How many possible values can it have in general?

Homework Equations

##z## raised to some complex power ##c## is defined as ##z^c = e^{c \log z}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

##
z^{\frac{1}{4}} = e^{\frac{1}{4} \log z} \iff
##

##
z^{\frac{1}{4}} = e^{\frac{1}{4} (\ln|z| + i \arg z)} \iff
##

##
z^{\frac{1}{4}} = e^{\ln |z|^{1/4} + \frac{i}{4} (\theta + 2 n \pi)} \iff
##

##
z^{\frac{1}{4}} = \sqrt[4]{|z|} e^{i(\frac{\theta}{4} + \frac{\pi}{2} n)}
##

I would say, "yes, it is multi-valued, as each value of ##n## gives you a distinct solution." However, in general, I am unsure of how many solutions there are. For a given ##z##, doesn't ##\sqrt[4]{|z|}## give us four distinct roots; and if we let ##n## be 0, 1, 2, 3, would we get four distinct solutions (n=4 and beyond would give us repetitive solutions)? Furthermore, how do I know the solutions I get from ##\sqrt[4]{|z|}## correspond to the ones gotten by enumerating values of ##n##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
For a given ##z##, doesn't ##\sqrt[4]{|z|}## give us four distinct roots; and if we let ##n## be 0, 1, 2, 3, would we get four distinct solutions (n=4 and beyond would give us repetitive solutions)? Furthermore, how do I know the solutions I get from ##\sqrt[4]{|z|}## correspond to the ones gotten by enumerating values of ##n##?

Since [itex]|z|[/itex] is a non-negative real number, both [itex]|z|^{1/4}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt[4]{|z|}[/itex] always mean the unique non-negative real number [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]c^4 = |z|[/itex]. Thus there are in general four distinct values of [itex]z^{1/4}[/itex], corresponding to the four distinct values of [itex]n \mod 4[/itex].

Oh, I see.

I actually have another one which is also giving me trouble:

## (1- \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = e^{ \frac{1}{5} (\ln |1 - \sqrt{3}| + i (\pi + 2 \pi n))} ##

## (1- \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = e^{ \ln (1 -\sqrt{3})^{1/5} + i ( \frac{\pi}{5} + \frac{2}{5} \pi n))} \iff ##

## (1- \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = (1 - \sqrt{3})^{1/5} e^{i ( \frac{\pi}{5} + \frac{2}{5} \pi n))} \iff ##

If I let ##n## go through the integers from 0 to 4, I will get the angles ##\frac{\pi}{5}##, ##\frac{3 \pi}{5}##, ##\frac{5 \pi }{5}##, ##\frac{7 \pi}{5}##, and ##\frac{9 \pi}{5}##.

What would the principal argument be? I see three...I thought the principal argument was that unique angle in the range ##(-\pi,\pi]##, yet I see three.

EDIT: I don't know why I can't get the latex to render properly. I ran the code in TexStudio and it rendered perfectly. Could anyone spot the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bashyboy said:

EDIT: I don't know why I can't get the latex to render properly. I ran the code in TexStudio and it rendered perfectly. Could anyone spot the issue?
You had an extra right brace in there, now removed.

Likes Bashyboy
Bashyboy said:
Oh, I see.

I actually have another one which is also giving me trouble:

## (1- \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = e^{ \frac{1}{5} (\ln |1 - \sqrt{3}| + i (\pi + 2 \pi n))} ##

## (1- \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = e^{ \ln (1 -\sqrt{3})^{1/5} + i ( \frac{\pi}{5} + \frac{2}{5} \pi n))} \iff ##

## (1- \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = (1 - \sqrt{3})^{1/5} e^{i ( \frac{\pi}{5} + \frac{2}{5} \pi n))} \iff ##

If I let ##n## go through the integers from 0 to 4, I will get the angles ##\frac{\pi}{5}##, ##\frac{3 \pi}{5}##, ##\frac{5 \pi }{5}##, ##\frac{7 \pi}{5}##, and ##\frac{9 \pi}{5}##.

What would the principal argument be? I see three...I thought the principal argument was that unique angle in the range ##(-\pi,\pi]##, yet I see three.

I see immediately the problem that [itex]1 < \sqrt{3}[/itex], so [itex]|1 - \sqrt{3}| = \sqrt{3} - 1[/itex]. Thus [tex](1 - \sqrt{3})^{1/5} = (\sqrt{3} - 1)^{1/5}e^{i\pi(1 + 2n)/5}.[/tex] There are five distinct roots. Taking [itex]n = 0,1,2[/itex] yields principal arguments of [itex]\frac \pi 5[/itex], [itex]\frac {3\pi}5[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex] respectively. This last is the negative real number [itex]-(\sqrt{3} - 1)^{1/5}[/itex]. Taking [itex]n = 4, 5[/itex] gives values outside the range [itex](-\pi,\pi][/itex] so they must be reduced mod [itex]2\pi[/itex] to obtain [itex]-\frac{3\pi}5[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{\pi}5[/itex] respectively.

Oh, I see. Each distinct has their own principle value. For some reason, I was thinking that only one of the five distinct roots would be the principal argument.

Okay, I see what the problem is. I was confusing the terms "principal argument" and "principal value."

Related to How Many Solutions To ##z^{1/4}##

1. What is the definition of a solution to ##z^{1/4}##?

A solution to ##z^{1/4}## is a value of z that, when raised to the fourth power, equals the original value. In other words, it is a number that, when multiplied by itself four times, results in the original number.

2. How many solutions can ##z^{1/4}## have?

It depends on the value of z. In general, there can be up to four solutions for ##z^{1/4}##, since there are four fourth roots for any given number. However, some values of z may have fewer or even no solutions.

3. How can I find the solutions to ##z^{1/4}##?

To find the solutions to ##z^{1/4}##, you can use the fourth root function on a calculator or manually calculate the fourth root of z. Keep in mind that there may be multiple solutions, so you will need to check all possible values.

4. Can ##z^{1/4}## have complex solutions?

Yes, it is possible for ##z^{1/4}## to have complex solutions. This is because complex numbers can also be raised to a power, and there are four complex fourth roots for any given number.

5. How does the number of solutions to ##z^{1/4}## change as z increases or decreases?

As z increases or decreases, the number of solutions to ##z^{1/4}## can also change. For positive real numbers, there will always be four solutions. For negative real numbers, there will be two solutions. For complex numbers, the number of solutions can vary depending on the value of z.