How Many Students Are Not Involved in Any Afternoon Activities?

In summary: So the total number would be 7+10+6=23. Therefore, the answer for question 3 would be 23. In summary, in a university with 88 students, 30 students decided not to participate in any activity, 7 students participate only in activity A, and 23 students participate in activity A or B, but not in C. This problem can also be solved using the algebra of sets, but a Venn diagram is a helpful tool for visualizing the problem.
Yankel
Hello all,

I am struggling with this relatively simple task.

In a university with 88 students, each student can choose to participate in 3 afternoon activities: activity A, activity B and activity C. Each student can choose to participate in some activities, all or none.

33 students participate in activity A
28 students participate in activity B
33 students participate in activity C
14 students participate in activity A and B
18 students participate in activity A and C
10 students participate in activity B and C
6 students participate in activity A, B and C

1. How many students decided not to participate in any activity ?
2. How many students participate ONLY in activity A ?
3. How many students participate in activity A OR B, but NOT in C ?

I think I did "1" OK, I got that the answer is 30 (am I correct ?).

I solved it using union and intersection, and using the rule of union of 3 sets.

I find it hard to solve "2" and "3".

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct for question 1. I find a Venn diagram is an invaluable tool for problems of this sort. Draw 3 intersecting circles to represent the 3 activities, and then work from the inside out, that is, start with the intersection of all 3, then fill in the 3 intersections of the pairs, and finally the 3 parts of each set with no intersection. You will then have all the information you need to easily answer the remaining 2 questions.

Can you proceed?

I think I understand what you mean by inside out, I think I can proceed, thank you !

Just for curiosity, isn't it also possible to be done using algebra of sets ?

Yankel said:
Just for curiosity, isn't it also possible to be done using algebra of sets ?

My inclination is that it is, but this is not an area in which I am very knowledgeable. I just find a Venn diagram to be very straightforward for a problem like this. :D

Ok, thanks :)

Just to verify, in "2" and "3", are the answers 7 and 10 ?

I agree with 7 for question 2, but for question 3 I have a different answer. I get 10 as the number of students participating only in activity B, but we need to include those that participate only in A AND in A and B (but not C).

Related to How Many Students Are Not Involved in Any Afternoon Activities?

What is the definition of "number of elements in a set"?

The number of elements in a set refers to the total count of distinct objects or members in that set. In other words, it is the size or cardinality of the set.

How is the number of elements in a set represented?

The number of elements in a set is typically represented by the symbol "n". So, if a set has 5 elements, we can write it as n = 5.

Can a set have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a set can have an infinite number of elements. For example, the set of all positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...) has an infinite number of elements.

What is the difference between a finite and an infinite set?

A finite set has a limited or countable number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited or uncountable number of elements.

How is the number of elements in a set determined?

The number of elements in a set is determined by counting the distinct objects or members in that set. In some cases, it can also be determined by using mathematical formulas or equations.