How Many Unique 7-Digit Numbers Can You Form Under Different Conditions?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of different 7-digit numbers that can be formed using the digits 1,2,2,3,6,7,8, under three different conditions: no restrictions, the digits 1,3,7 must be next to each other, and the numbers must be even. The correct answers are 2520, 144, and 4320 respectively. There were some errors in the initial calculations, but by accounting for the repeated digits and using the block technique, the correct answers were
jinx007
Please i need help i am not that good in probability and permutation.

The digits of the number 1,2,2,3,6,7,8 can be read to give many 7-digits numbers. Find how many different 7-digit numbers can be made if

1/ There is no restriction on the order of the digits.
2/ The digits 1,3,7(in any order) are next to each other
3/ These 7-digits numbers are even

1/ if no restriction so 7 ! = 5040 ways

2/ so here i treat 1,3,7 as a block and is equal to 1 ! and i add to the remaining and i get 4 ! + 1 ! = 5!

And my answer = 5! x 3

But i am not sure...please check it..and tell me if there is any error

3/ I treat the last block as even so (2,2,6,8)...> 4!

my answer 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 x 4! = 17280 ways

ALL WHAT I HAVE DONE, I AM NOT SURE..PLEASE CHECK IT...I HAVE MANY DOUBT...THANKS IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure about 1)...? note the fact you have two 2's that are, for all intents & purposes, indistinguishable...

the point made above will feed into 2 & 3

for 2)
note there are 3! different ways to arrange 1,3 & 7
and I'm not sure what you mean by 1! + 4! = 5!, as this is not true...
but reading between the lines, i think you've got the right idea

lanedance said:
the point made above will feed into 2 & 3

for 2)
note there are 3! different ways to arrange 1,3 & 7
and I'm not sure what you mean by 1! + 4! = 5!, as this is not true...
but reading between the lines, i think you've got the right idea

Ohhh for the first part i have some doubt..because of the two 2's...don't you know how to proceed..??

for the second part i make use of blocks technique that is the 1,3 and 7 acting as 1 block(so 1 !) and the remaining as 4 blocks (4 !) so i add them and multiply by 3 ( 3 because i think there are 3 ways) I think i must multiply by 3!

so the answer must be like that 5! x 3!

yeah so when there is indistinguishabilty, just count them as if they were distinguishable, then divide by the number of different ways you could arrange the indistinguishable items.

that will acount for the repeated arrangements

Last edited:
jinx007 said:
Please i need help i am not that good in probability and permutation.

The digits of the number 1,2,2,3,6,7,8 can be read to give many 7-digits numbers. Find how many different 7-digit numbers can be made if

1/ There is no restriction on the order of the digits.
2/ The digits 1,3,7(in any order) are next to each other
3/ These 7-digits numbers are even

1/ if no restriction so 7 ! = 5040 ways

2/ so here i treat 1,3,7 as a block and is equal to 1 ! and i add to the remaining and i get 4 ! + 1 ! = 5!

And my answer = 5! x 3

But i am not sure...please check it..and tell me if there is any error

3/ I treat the last block as even so (2,2,6,8)...> 4!

my answer 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 x 4! = 17280 ways

ALL WHAT I HAVE DONE, I AM NOT SURE..PLEASE CHECK IT...I HAVE MANY DOUBT...THANKS IN ADVANCE
if you have the answers, then please post them because all that you have done seem to be incorrect. your answers will ensure whether i am correct or not. if you don't have them then please post a message that you don't have them. then i will post my way of solving all the problems you have posted. thank you!

here is my way of solving the problem .
1. in the first case 2 is repeating itself 2 times (there are two 2's ) therefore the number of different 7-digit numbers that can be formed are : 7!/2! = 5040/2 = 2520
2. as for the second case the answer is : 1,3,7 can be arranged in 3! ways, 2,2,6,8 can be arranged in 4!/2! ways i.e. 12 ways, these two blocks can be arranged in 2! ways. therefore the final answer is: 3!x12x2! = 6x12x2 = 144 ways
3. as for the third case the answer is : an even number must have even numbers in its unit place. therefore the number must end with either 2, 6 or 8. numbers formed by digits ending in 8 are: 6!/2! = 360 , the numbers formed by digits ending in 2 are: 6! = 720, the numbers ending in 6 are: 6!/2! = 360. therefore the total number of even 7-digit numbers formed are : 360+720+360 = 1440.
that was all i had. just match them with your answers and tell me if they are correct or not.

Last edited:
hey utkarsh, the general idea is to help people through the problem rather than doing the whole thing for them ;)

utkarsh009 said:
1. in the first case 2 is repeating itself 2 times (there are two 2's ) therefore the number of different 7-digit numbers that can be formed are : 7!/2! = 5040/2 = 2520
this is ok

utkarsh009 said:
2. as for the second case the answer is : 1,3,7 can be arranged in 3! ways, 2,2,6,8 can be arranged in 4!/2! ways i.e. 12 ways, these two blocks can be arranged in 2! ways. therefore the final answer is: 3!x12x2! = 6x12x2 = 144 ways
i don't think this is quite right, as was originally done consider the arrangement of the 5 items, the block (137) & 2, 2, 6, 8 which can be arranged in 5!/2! different ways

then account for the 3! ways to arrange 137

utkarsh009 said:
3. as for the third case the answer is : an even number must have even numbers in its unit place. therefore the number must end with either 2, 6 or 8. numbers formed by digits ending in 8 are: 6!/2! = 360 , the numbers formed by digits ending in 2 are: 6! = 720, the numbers ending in 6 are: 6!/2! = 360. therefore the total number of even 7-digit numbers formed are : 360+720+360 = 1440.
that was all i had. just match them with your answers and tell me if they are correct or not.
this looks ok

yes lanedance you are absolutely right. the second one was a silly mistake. thank you very much for pointing out my mistake. after all i am just a student of 9th standard. i often make mistake. and from now i will keep this in mind not to solve the problems just help. thank you again!

utkarsh009 said:

Ohhh i don't have the answer...but it seem your work is correct...thank

jinx007 said:

thank you! but the second one has been done correctly by lanedance, just have a look.

jinx007 said:

thank you! but the second one has been done correctly by lanedance. in that one the second block which i mentioned is not a block so the correct answer is that of lanedance. check that out

utkarsh009 said:
yes lanedance you are absolutely right. the second one was a silly mistake. thank you very much for pointing out my mistake. after all i am just a student of 9th standard. i often make mistake. and from now i will keep this in mind not to solve the problems just help. thank you again!

no worries, it can be tempting to solve an interesting problem & i still do it sometimes though the idea is to help the OP get the most out of the problem

Related to How Many Unique 7-Digit Numbers Can You Form Under Different Conditions?

What is the difference between combination and permutation?

Combination is the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set, where the order of selection does not matter. Permutation is the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order.

How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The formula for calculating the number of combinations is nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

What is the formula for permutations?

The formula for permutations is nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged.

What are some real-world applications of combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are used in various fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. In statistics, they are used to calculate probabilities and analyze data. In genetics, they are used to determine the possible combinations of genes and traits. In computer science, they are used in algorithms and data structures.

Can combinations and permutations be used interchangeably?

No, combinations and permutations are different mathematical concepts and cannot be used interchangeably. They have different formulas and are used in different scenarios.