How many watts/how much intensity needed to power an elevator?

In summary, the elevator with a mass of 1400 kgs and a motor powered by 220 volts needs 56kW of potential energy to go up 30 meters at a speed of 4m/s. The maximum current passing through the motor is 255A. The solution involves calculating the change in potential energy and using the formula P=VI to find the power and I=P/V to find the current. Without a calculator, rounding g to 10m/s is necessary for the calculation of time using x=vt.
Paulo Serrano

Homework Statement

An elevator, with people in it, has a mass of 1400 kgs. The motor is hooked up to the power grid that provides 220 volts of power. The elevator has to go up 30 meters at 4m/s.

How many watts of potential (not sure if it's called that) are required to get the elevator moving and what is the maximum current passing through the motor?

Homework Equations

P=VI
Potential energy=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure. I know the answer but don't know how to get to it. My idea is to calculate the change in potential energy that occurs when moving up 30m. That gets me 420kJ. That's as far as I got.

Answer: 56kW and 255A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure this is right, but to continue what you started,

PE = mgh = 411.6 kJ

x=vt, t=x/v t=(30m)/(4m/s) = 7.5 s

P = w/t = (411.4 kJ)/(7.5s)=54.9 kW

which is kinda close to the answer. Then,

I = P/V = (54.9 kW)/(220 V)=250 Amps

which is also not quite the answer you posted, I dunno.

Ok I don't know how you got 420 kJ but if you use that then everything works out.

This question is from a national college entrance exam in Brazil. We're not allowed to use calculators, so I rounded g=9.81m/s to 10m/s.

Can you enlighten me on that formula you used to find the time? (x=vt) Just a name or wikipedia link will suffice. :)

edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. That's the most basic formula in physics. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
Newton's Second Law, F=ma.

Related to How many watts/how much intensity needed to power an elevator?

1. How many watts are needed to power an elevator?

The amount of watts needed to power an elevator depends on various factors such as the weight capacity, speed, distance the elevator needs to travel, and the type of motor used. On average, an elevator would require around 10-15 watts per passenger.

2. How much intensity is needed to power an elevator?

The intensity or power required to operate an elevator also depends on similar factors as mentioned above. It is generally recommended to have a power supply of at least 1 horsepower for every 1000 pounds of weight capacity.

3. Can the intensity of an elevator's power supply be too high?

Yes, having an intensity or power supply that is too high for the elevator can cause damage to the motor and other components. It is important to have the right balance of power and weight capacity for optimal performance and safety.

4. How does the height of the building affect the watts/intensity required for the elevator?

The height of the building does not significantly affect the watts or intensity needed to power an elevator. However, taller buildings may require more powerful motors to lift the elevator to higher floors.

5. Are there any energy-efficient options for powering elevators?

Yes, there are energy-efficient options for powering elevators such as regenerative drives and gearless motors. These technologies can help reduce the amount of power needed to operate an elevator and can save energy and costs in the long run.

Back