How Many Ways Can 11 People Be Seated at Two Round Tables?

In summary, there are two round tables with 11 people sitting at them (5 at one and 6 at the other). The total number of combinations for seating arrangements is found by multiplying the number of ways to choose a group of 5 people out of the 11 to sit at one table (11 choose 5) with the number of ways to choose a group of 6 people out of the remaining 6 to sit at the other table (6 choose 6), yielding a total of 462 possible combinations. Alternatively, one could choose 6 people to sit at one table and 5 to sit at the other, resulting in the same number of combinations. Adding the combinations for each individual table is incorrect as the combinations are
member 428835

Homework Statement

11 people sit at two round tables, one sits 5 and the other sits 6. how many combinations of seating arrangements are there?

Homework Equations

i'm not sure about equations, but my solution attempt may have some info.

The Attempt at a Solution

i know if 11 people were to sit at 1 table, we would have [itex]\frac{11!}{11}=10![/itex] combinations. thus, would we first have to choose who sits at which table? i.e: [tex](11C5)(4!)+(11C6)(6!)[/tex]

thanks for your time (and help!)

Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, but a couple of errors.
You got 11C54! for choosing the 5 to sit at one table and arranging them. For each such arrangement, how can you arrange the remaining 6?

wait, do you mean [itex](11C5)(4!)+(11C6)(5!)[/itex]? also, if we've already selected the 5 to be at on table, do we really need to select 6 for the other?

thanks for the response, and let me know what you think.

because i definitely should have done [itex]5![/itex], not [itex]6![/itex] (brain fart)

There are two big problems with your result. One is that when you've chosen the five people who will sit at table #1 you have but one choice as to which set of six people will sit at table #2. The other: Why are you adding?

D H said:
There are two big problems with your result. One is that when you've chosen the five people who will sit at table #1 you have but one choice as to which set of six people will sit at table #2.
yea, i definitely see this problem but if i don't put both "choices" how do i determine which number (5 or 6) to use?

also, i was adding because i figured after i choose who sits at what table, all i need to do is take the possible combos of one table and add them to the combos of another table.

evidently this is wrong; can you direct me as to what to do next?

thanks for your help!

joshmccraney said:
yea, i definitely see this problem but if i don't put both "choices" how do i determine which number (5 or 6) to use?
There are a number of right ways to address this part of the problem. You chose a wrong way.

One way to look at this part of the problem is that you choose five people to sit at one table, call it table A. There are 11 choose 5 ways to do this. For any give choice, there are 11-5=6 people left. You now need to choose six of these six people to sit at table B. There are 6 choose 6 ways to do this, and that of course is one. The number of ways to choose people to sit at the two tables is the product of these two numbers: (11 choose 5)*(6 choose 6).

You could of course look at it the other way around: You'll choose six people to sit at the larger table and then choose five of the remaining five to sit at the smaller table. This leads to (11 choose 6)*(5 choose 5) ways to split the people into two groups.

Hmmm. One approach yields (11 choose 5)*(6 choose 6), the other (11 choose 6)*(5 choose 5). Is there a problem here? The answer is no. 11 choose 5 and 11 choose 6 are the same number (462), as are 6 choose 6 and 5 choose 5 (which are of course both 1).

also, i was adding because i figured after i choose who sits at what table, all i need to do is take the possible combos of one table and add them to the combos of another table.
Suppose X and Y are independent. Also suppose there are three ways to accomplish X and five ways to accomplish Y. The number of ways to do accomplish X and Y is fifteen, not eight.

The same applies to the problem at hand. You should be multiplying here, not adding.

joshmccraney said:
You can do it either way (i.e choose 6 for one table and have one set of five for the other, or choose 5 for a table and have one set of six for the other). The result is the same.

Consider the case when there are two people situated at one table and one at the other. How many possible combinations are there?

Alternatively, are the combinations around each individual table dependent on each other? What does this tell you?

Related to How Many Ways Can 11 People Be Seated at Two Round Tables?

1. What is a table probability question?

A table probability question is a type of question that involves determining the likelihood of a certain outcome or event based on a given set of data or information presented in a table format.

2. How do you solve a table probability question?

To solve a table probability question, you need to first identify the total number of possible outcomes and the total number of favorable outcomes. Then, you can use the formula P(event) = favorable outcomes/total outcomes to calculate the probability of the event occurring.

3. What is a probability table?

A probability table is a table that displays the different possible outcomes of an event and their corresponding probabilities. It is often used to organize and present data in a clear and concise manner to help solve probability problems.

4. What are the key components of a table probability question?

The key components of a table probability question include the given data presented in a table format, the event or outcome being studied, and the question or problem that needs to be solved.

5. What are some common strategies for solving table probability questions?

Some common strategies for solving table probability questions include using organized lists or tables to keep track of the outcomes, using visual aids such as diagrams or charts, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.