How Many Ways Can a Positive Integer Be Written as a Sum of Positive Integers?

• MHB
  • Thread starter hxthanh
  • Start date
In summary, there are a total of 2^{n-1} possible addition problems when writing positive integer n as the sum of positive integers, with permutations allowed. However, if permutations are not allowed, the problem becomes much more difficult and there is a recurrence relation to find the number of possible addition problems. This problem was solved in the 1930's and there are complex formulas involved.
hxthanh
$\boxed 1$ How many ways writing positive integer $n\;$ as the sum of the positive integers different each pairs? (no permutation)

Example: $6=6=1+5=2+4=1+2+3 \quad $ (4 ways)

$\boxed 2$ How many ways writing positive integer $n\;$ as the sum of the positive integers? (no permutation)

Example: $\begin{align*} 6&=6\\ & =1+5 = 2+4 = 3+3 \\&= 1+1+4 =1+2+3 =2+2+2\\ &=1+1+1+3 =1+1+2+2 \\& =1+1+1+1+2 \\&=1+1+1+1+1+1 \end{align*}\quad $ (11 ways)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Write n=a+b+c+...

If permutations are allowed, the problem is elementary.

Consider a board [tex]n[/tex] inches long.
Mark the board in one-inch intervals.

. . . . [tex]\underbrace{\square\!\square\!\square\!\square \cdots \square}_{n-1\text{ marks}} [/tex]

At each mark, we have 2 choices: cut or do not cut.

Hence, there are [tex]2^{n-1}[/tex] possible decisions.

Therefore, there are [tex]2^{n-1}[/tex] possible addition problems.Example: [tex]n = 4[/tex]
. . [tex]\begin{array}{c} 4 \\ 1+3, \;\; 2+2, \;\;3+1 \\ 1+1+2, \;\; 1+2+1, \;\; 2 +1+1 \\ 1+1+1+1+1 \end{array}\quad(2^3 = 8\text{ ways)}[/tex]However, if permutations are not allowed,
. . the problem become very difficult.

Many years ago, my then-wife was in Special Education.
She asked me how many addition problems would total 5.
I did some scribbling and came up with the formula.
I proudly announced 2^4 = 16 problems and listed them.

Then she asked how many if permutations were not allowed.
I spent the rest of the weekend and got nowhere. .On Monday,
I gave the problem to my fellow math professors. .Within
weeks we had huge spreadsheets and vainly tried find the
underlying pattern.

After several months, I gave up and wrote to Martin Gardner.
He replied that the problem was solved in the 1930's (virtually
yesterday!) and gave me reference. .I finally found the book
at the Boston Public Library. .There is a recurrence relation,
but it was very complicated, being quadratic in form.

The notes are somewhere in my vast archives. .(My wife says
they are half-vast. . I think that's what she said.)

Good luck in your search.

Related to How Many Ways Can a Positive Integer Be Written as a Sum of Positive Integers?

1. What does the equation "n = a + b + c + ..." mean?

The equation "n = a + b + c + ..." is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of multiple values. The letter 'n' is typically used to represent the final sum, while 'a', 'b', 'c', etc. represent individual values that are being added together.

2. How do you solve an equation in the form of "n = a + b + c + ..."?

To solve an equation in this form, you simply need to add up all of the individual values (a, b, c, etc.) to find the sum, or 'n'. For example, if the equation is "n = 4 + 6 + 8", you would add 4, 6, and 8 together to get a final sum of 18.

3. Can the values in the equation "n = a + b + c + ..." be negative?

Yes, the values in this equation can be negative. In fact, the equation can include any type of number (positive, negative, whole, decimal, etc.), as long as they can be added together.

4. Is the order of the values important in the equation "n = a + b + c + ..."?

No, the order of the values does not matter in this equation. This is because addition is a commutative operation, meaning that the order in which you add the values does not change the final sum.

5. What is the purpose of using "n" as the final sum in this equation?

The letter 'n' is commonly used to represent the final sum in this equation as it stands for 'number'. This makes it a general term that can be used in a variety of equations and problems, without being specific to a particular value or variable.