How Many Ways Can You Choose Two Balls From a Set of Black and White Balls?

In summary: As for the comment at the end, I do not understand what you are asking. C(11,2) is the number of ways of choosing 2 objects from a set of 11 objects. Of course it does not matter whether the objects are "black" or "white". The number is the same. That is why the probability is C(6,1)*C(5,1)/C(11,2).
jack1234
There are 6 white and 5 black ball. How many ways to choose 2 balls from it?
My Answer:
3 ways, which is
(1)two white ball
(2)One white and One Black
(3)Two Black ball

What is the probability that one of the drawn balls is white and the other black?
My Answer:
C(6,1)*C(5,1)/C(11,2)

If my answer for this two question is correct, can I conclude that, for combination, we view all black ball as identical,
but for the sample space of probability(if we view it as unordered set of drawn balls) we treat all the black balls as distinct, hence we have C(11,2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding your first question, there are three possible outcomes which you correctly mention. However, the number of ways to choose the balls is not the same as the number of possible outcomes.

The answer to your second question is correct.

The comment at the end makes no sense. C(11,2) represents the number of ways of picking 2 objects from a set of 11 of them regardless of what they are (hence no distinction is made).

"First white and second black" and "first black and second white" are distinct ways that give one white and one black ball.

There four ways of choosing two balls and two of them give "one black and one white".

Thanks for the replies :) However, I have some question regarding the replies.

e(ho0n3 said:
Regarding your first question, there are three possible outcomes which you correctly mention. However, the number of ways to choose the balls is not the same as the number of possible outcomes.

The answer to your second question is correct.

The comment at the end makes no sense. C(11,2) represents the number of ways of picking 2 objects from a set of 11 of them regardless of what they are (hence no distinction is made).
Do you mean that first question is wrong, because the way of choosing it is C(11,2), but the number of distinct combination(outcome) is 3?

HallsofIvy said:
"First white and second black" and "first black and second white" are distinct ways that give one white and one black ball.

There four ways of choosing two balls and two of them give "one black and one white".
For the first question, I am just choosing it(combination), but not going to order it(permutation), hence isn't the number of distinct outcome be 3; and the way of choosing it be C(11,2) as mentioned by e(ho0n3?

Last edited:
To second question: No. The four ways of choosing 2 balls are "white, white", "black, white", "white, black", and "black, black". Since there are six white and 5 black balls, the probability of drawing a white ball on the first draw is 6/11. Then there are 5 white and 5 black left so the probability of drawing a white ball on the second draw is 5/10= 1/2. The probability of "white, white" is (6/11)(1/2)= 3/11.

The probability of drawing a black ball on the first draw is 5/11 and then there are 6 white and 4 black balls left. The probability of drawing a white ball now is 6/10= 3/5. The probability of "black, white" is (5/11)(3/5)= 3/11. I'll let you calculate the probailities of the other two cases and add them.

FAQ: How Many Ways Can You Choose Two Balls From a Set of Black and White Balls?

What is the difference between combination and probability?

Combination is a mathematical concept that refers to the number of ways a set of objects can be selected and arranged, while probability is the likelihood or chance that a specific event will occur. In other words, combination is a counting technique, while probability is a measure of uncertainty.

How are combinations and probability used in real life?

Combinations and probability are used in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and statistics. In finance, they are used to calculate the probability of a certain stock price or investment return. In engineering, they are used to determine the reliability of a system. In statistics, they are used to analyze data and make predictions.

What is the formula for calculating a combination?

The formula for calculating a combination is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being selected. The exclamation mark (!) represents the factorial function, which means multiplying a number by all the numbers below it.

How is probability expressed?

Probability is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty. It can also be expressed as a percentage or decimal. For example, a probability of 0.5 can also be expressed as 50% or 1/2.

What is the relationship between combinations and probability?

The relationship between combinations and probability is that combinations can be used to calculate the total number of possible outcomes, which is then used to determine the probability of a specific event occurring. For example, if you toss a coin twice, there are four possible combinations (HH, HT, TH, TT), and the probability of getting heads on both tosses is 1/4 or 25%.

Back