How Many Ways Can You Solve This Permutation Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solutions to a math problem involving permutations and factorials. The answers for the three parts are 144, 1440, and 12*5!, respectively. The correctness of the answers is confirmed and a mistake in understanding the question is corrected.
bllnsr

Homework Statement

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hoeghs.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) 144 ways
(ii) 2!*4!*3!
(iii) 12*5!
these are my answers

Physics news on Phys.org
looks ok

what is worrying you about that? :confused:

are my answers correct?

They look correct to me.

Ok Thanks

Generally, for 'The Attempt At A Solution' you should show what you actually did, not just list the answers.

@HallsofIvy
sorry for that next time I will post my full attempt.

Shouldn't the answer to (i) be 1440

5P3 * 4! = 1440

The rest look fine to me.

hms.tech said:
Shouldn't the answer to (i) be 1440

5P3 * 4! = 1440

The rest look fine to me.
No, it's 4!3!. How do you get 1440?

I think you right, I made a mistake understanding the question .
Thanks

Related to How Many Ways Can You Solve This Permutation Problem?

What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects or elements in a specific order. It is often used in mathematics and statistics to determine the number of possible outcomes or combinations.

How do I know if I need to use permutations to solve a problem?

If the problem involves arranging a set of objects or elements in a specific order, then you most likely need to use permutations. Permutations are also used when the order of the elements is important.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected and arranged in a specific order.

Can I use a calculator to solve permutation questions?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a permutation function that allows you to easily calculate permutations. However, it's important to understand the formula and concept behind permutations to ensure accurate results.

What are some real-life applications of permutations?

Permutations are used in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, genetics, and finance. They can be used to determine the number of possible outcomes in a game of chance, arrange letters in a word, or create unique passwords.

Back