How many zeroes are at the end of (45^8)(88^5)

• Thread starter Animuo
  • Start date
In summary, the number of zeroes at the end of a given number can be calculated by finding the highest power of 10 that divides the number without leaving a remainder. The formula for determining the number of zeroes at the end of a number raised to a power is to multiply the power by the number of zeroes in the base number. To apply the formula, you need to first determine the base number and the power, then multiply the power by the number of zeroes in the base number. The result of (45^8)(88^5) having 18 zeroes at the end can be explained by applying the formula. Other methods such as using logarithms can also be used, but the formula method is the most commonly used and simple approach
Animuo

Homework Statement

How many zeroes are at the end of (45^8)(88^5), don't use a calculator.

Homework Equations

Using the unique factorization of integers theorem, you can break any integer down into the product of prime integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I broke it down

(45^8) = (3 * 3 * 5) ^ 8
(88^5) = (2 * 2 * 2 * 11) ^ 5

If you put it back together as separate factors you get something like this

(3^16) * (5^8) * (2^15) * (11^5)

now my thinking is that you can find the number of zeroes by figuring out how many factors of 10 (which equals 2 * 5) you can make.

You can make 8 factors of 10 so it looks like
(3 ^ 16) * (2 ^ 7) * (11 ^ 5) * (10 ^ 8)

And from this I assume that there would be 8 zeroes at the end, however if you check it with a calculator you get a different answer..

(45^8) * (88^5) = 8.87387835 × 10^22

Anyone care to explain where my thinking is wrong..?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, but checking it with a calculator doesn't work because the screen of the calculator can't display all the digits of the product, if you use the calculator on your computer it should display the full number.

Animuo said:

Homework Statement

How many zeroes are at the %nd of (45^8)(88^5), don't use a calculator.

Homework Equations

Using the unique factorization of integers theorem, you can break any integer down into the product of prime integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I broke it down

(45^8) = (3 * 3 * 5) ^ 8
(88^5) = (2 * 2 * 2 * 11) ^ 5

If you put it back together as separate factors you get something like this

(3^16) * (5^8) * (2^15) * (11^5)

now my thinking is that you can find the number of zeroes by figuring out how many factors of 10 (which equals 2 * 5) you can make.

You can make 8 factors of 10 so it looks like
(3 ^ 16) * (2 ^ 7) * (11 ^ 5) * (10 ^ 8)

And from this I assume that there would be 8 zeroes at the end, however if you check it with a calculator you get a different answer..

(45^8) * (88^5) = 8.87387835 × 10^22

Anyone care to explain where my thinking is wrong..?

Your answer is right. The calculator is giving you a truncated answer in scientific notation. Even though the last shown figure is "5", there are still many nonzero figures to the right of that 5 when you write the whole number out. There will still be eight trailing zeroes.

Wow... didn't think of that, I used the google calculator and now I feel like a dumbass -.-. Thanks guys, feel better now. Here's another one I'm having a little difficulty with, and I don't feel like spamming these forums.

Moderator note: I made a separate thread for the new problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How many zeroes are at the end of (45^8)(88^5)

1. How do you calculate the number of zeroes at the end of a given number?

The number of zeroes at the end of a given number can be calculated by finding the highest power of 10 that divides the number without leaving a remainder. For example, in the number 100, there are 2 zeroes at the end because it can be divided by 10 twice (10 x 10 = 100).

2. What is the formula for determining the number of zeroes at the end of a number raised to a power?

The formula for determining the number of zeroes at the end of a number raised to a power is to multiply the power by the number of zeroes in the base number. For example, if we have 10^3, there will be 3 zeroes at the end (10 x 10 x 10 = 1000).

3. How do you apply the formula to find the number of zeroes at the end of a given number raised to a power?

To apply the formula, you need to first determine the base number and the power. Then, multiply the power by the number of zeroes in the base number. In the given example of (45^8)(88^5), the base numbers are 45 and 88, and the powers are 8 and 5, respectively. So, the number of zeroes at the end will be (8 x 1) + (5 x 2) = 8 + 10 = 18.

4. Can you provide an explanation for the result of (45^8)(88^5) having 18 zeroes at the end?

Yes, the result of (45^8)(88^5) having 18 zeroes at the end can be explained by applying the formula for determining the number of zeroes at the end of a number raised to a power. Since 45 has 1 zero at the end and 88 has 2 zeros at the end, the total number of zeroes at the end will be (8 x 1) + (5 x 2) = 8 + 10 = 18.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the number of zeroes at the end of a given number raised to a power?

Yes, there are other methods such as using logarithms to calculate the number of zeroes at the end of a given number raised to a power. However, the formula method is the most commonly used and simple approach for this calculation.

Back