How Much Additional Mass Can a Floating Glass Hold Before Sinking?

• Thread starter C-A-L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the maximum mass that can be added to a floating drinking glass with the shape of a cylinder, given its dimensions of radius and height, and its mass. The equation of density=mass/volume is mentioned, and the attempt at a solution includes converting the given values and finding the density of the glass. The use of Archimedes' Law is suggested for further calculations.
C-A-L

Homework Statement

A drinking glass with the shape of a cylinder was floating in a sink. The glass had a radius of 4.00cm, a height of 15.0cm and a mass of 500 grams. Calculate the maximum mass which can be added to the glass without the glass sinking.

Homework Equations

Density=mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to convert radius, height and mass.
radius is .0400 meters, height .150 meters and mass is .500 kg.
I feel as though height is irrelevant in this problem to find the maximum mass.

I started out finding the density of the glass

.500*.400= .200 kg

not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Archimedes' Law.

ehild

Related to How Much Additional Mass Can a Floating Glass Hold Before Sinking?

1. What is the formula for calculating mass?

The formula for calculating mass is mass = density x volume. This means that the mass of an object is equal to its density multiplied by its volume.

2. How do you measure the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be measured using a scale or balance. The object is placed on the scale and the reading on the scale will indicate its mass in units of grams or kilograms.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can mass be negative?

No, mass cannot be negative as it is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Matter cannot have a negative value.

5. How do you convert mass from one unit to another?

To convert mass from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from kilograms to grams, you would multiply the mass in kilograms by 1000. To convert from grams to kilograms, you would divide the mass in grams by 1000.