How much base to neutralize acid?

In summary, the question is how many milligrams of NaOH must be added to neutralize 100mg of H2SO4 in 1 Liter of water. The answer is 81.6mg, but the process to get to this answer involves balancing the reaction equation and using stoichiometry.
ride5150
I have a question in my environmental engineering class that goes like this:

if 100mg H2SO4 is added to 1 Liter of water, how many milligrams of NaOH (strong base) must be added to neutralize the acid?

the answer is 81.6mg, but how do i get to the answer?

i tried writing a reaction of: H2SO4 + NaOH = 2H+ + SO2-4 + Na+ + OH-

then doing: molarity of H2SO4 times Molarity of NaOH = 10-7

but i just can't seem to find how to get the answer.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is a simple stoichiometry. Start by balancing the reaction equation - so far it even doesn't contain correct products, you just dissociated both substances. Do you know how to read balanced reaction equation?

Related to How much base to neutralize acid?

Question 1: What is the concept of neutralization?

Neutralization is a chemical reaction that occurs when an acid and a base are mixed together in the right proportions. The products of this reaction are a salt and water, and the resulting solution is neither acidic nor basic, but neutral.

Question 2: How do you calculate the amount of base needed to neutralize an acid?

The amount of base needed to neutralize an acid can be calculated using the equation: moles of acid = moles of base. This means that the number of moles of acid present is equal to the number of moles of base needed for neutralization.

Question 3: What is the role of the acid's concentration in neutralization?

The concentration of the acid plays a crucial role in determining the amount of base needed for neutralization. The higher the concentration of the acid, the more base will be required to neutralize it. This is because a higher concentration means there are more acid molecules present that need to be neutralized.

Question 4: How does the strength of the acid affect the neutralization process?

The strength of the acid also plays a significant role in neutralization. Strong acids require less base to neutralize them compared to weak acids. This is because strong acids fully dissociate in water, while weak acids only partially dissociate, resulting in fewer acid molecules that need to be neutralized.

Question 5: Are there any safety precautions to consider when neutralizing acids with bases?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when neutralizing acids with bases. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, acids and bases should be added slowly and carefully to prevent splashing, and the neutralization reaction should be monitored closely to avoid over-neutralization, which can result in a sudden release of heat and potentially cause burns.