How much calc II is used for calc III?

• Thread starter quantum13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc iii
In summary, Calc III covers multiple variable series, integration by parts, and trig substitution. Infinite series is also covered.
quantum13
Not sure about the forum, sorry.

Are series expands featured prominently in vector calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Courses vary depending on the school. Infinite series is not covered for most, if not all, "Calc III' courses I have seen (this is usually left for courses in Real Analysis). If you are covering multiple, line, and surface integrals in this class then you should need to know appropriate techniques (integration by parts, trig substitution, etc). Polar coordinates are used frequently to simplify integration.

quantum13 said:
Not sure about the forum, sorry.

Are series expands featured prominently in vector calculus?

All of it. Calc III is Calc I and Calc II except in the n-th dimension, integration and differentiation in the n dimensions, calc i and ii are only in the 1st dimension. Vector calculus is basically the same... Calc I and Calc II integration and differentiation. but this time it's in the n-th dimension AND don't just have a magnitude, but also have direction in n-dimensional euclidean vector space. So as you progress in calculus it is the same concept except more variables, and vectors which complicates things a lot more than it sounds.
also infinite series are used more for partial differential equations to obtain solutions to complicated equations whose solution isn't compromised entirely of elementary functions and you're introduced to them in calc II

Last edited:
VeeEight said:
Infinite series is not covered for most, if not all, "Calc III' courses I have seen (this is usually left for courses in Real Analysis).

How many "Calc II' courses have you "seen"? Many courses do one variable series in calc 2 and multiple variable series. Some courses do series in only in one term. Some couses are two or four terms instead of three and are adjusted accordingly. Real analysis is for things like banach spaces, spectral theory, and abstract measure and integration, it would be quite sad if time was wasted introducing series; especially since many students would be third year and would have needed series sooner, like freshman physics.

sorry, my question was horribly put.

i want to study electromagnetism, but I only have calc I (i'm taking calc II in my high school, but we're pretty slow) and I heard that calc III is recommended for electricity and magnetism. my question is, how can I most efficiently study just the math I need while deferring other topics not directly dealt with in E&M for coursework?

Study it out of a 'Physics for scientists and engineers' textbook like Serway or something. They will leave out the heavy calculus stuff but keep the things needed to get a very good grasp on E&M. I self studied out of Serway to learn E&M and watched the ocw mit videos on physics by Walter Lewin. If you do this combo you will be in really good shape. Later on you could read a book like Griffiths to get a more 'mathy' understanding once you have the needed Calc 3 experience.

Related to How much calc II is used for calc III?

1. How much of the material from calc II is used in calc III?

The amount of material from calc II that is used in calc III varies depending on the specific course and curriculum. Generally, about 50-60% of the material from calc II is used in calc III.

2. Do I need a strong foundation in calc II to do well in calc III?

Yes, having a strong foundation in calc II is important for success in calc III. Many concepts and techniques from calc II are built upon and expanded in calc III.

3. What are the key topics from calc II that are used in calc III?

Some key topics from calc II that are used in calc III include integration techniques (such as u-substitution and integration by parts), sequences and series, and multivariable calculus (such as partial derivatives and multiple integrals).

4. How important is it to review calc II before starting calc III?

It is highly recommended to review key concepts and techniques from calc II before starting calc III. This will help solidify your understanding and make the transition to calc III smoother.

5. Are there any resources available to help bridge the gap between calc II and calc III?

Yes, there are many resources available to help bridge the gap between calc II and calc III. These include review books, online tutorials, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor or a tutor for additional support.