How much calculus is needed for physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-studying physics, specifically the amount of calculus knowledge needed for each area. The participants suggest using different calculus textbooks, such as Spivak or Kline, for a better understanding. They also mention that Stewart's book may be lacking in rigor, but it is sufficient for basic understanding and problem-solving. The participants also recommend a calculus book that is superior to Stewart's, and mention that it may be difficult to obtain a physical copy in certain countries.
oftigus
I want to self study physics from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics.I know that I can't study physics without calculus,but I am asking you how much of it I need to know for each area.
I am studying it from Stewart's Calculus 7th edition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first, you might want to get a better calculus textbook. I suggest using Spivak for complete understanding; but if you don't care so much for completeness and only need calculus to use as a tool to tackle physics problems I suggest you go with something like Kline's book.

Stewart's book is horrible

SolsticeFire

oftigus said:
I am asking you how much of it I need to know

Not a whole lot. At this level, all you need is basic knowledge of derivatives and integrals, and how to apply them to simple functions like polynomials and trig functions.

In the US, students often take an intro physics course at this level concurrently with the first two semesters of calculus.

SolsticeFire said:
Stewart's book is horrible
I disagree. For what the OP needs, Stewart is fine.

Is it the best Calculus book? No. But he doesn't need Spivak to start with some basic physics.

Sankaku said:
I disagree. For what the OP needs, Stewart is fine.

Is it the best Calculus book? No. But he doesn't need Spivak to start with some basic physics.

Just because it is sufficient to teach him what he needs to know for Halliday doesn't mean that he should be learning Calculus from it.

I would agree that Spivak would be a little over the top, but there are other books (Lang's A First Course in Calculus, for example).

What do you mean by saying Stewart's is bad?I got up to chapter 3(Applications of Differentiation) and I didn't have any trouble understanding it.

I think what they are trying to say the book lacks 'rigor' of some sort. In my opinion though, it will be fine for a first brush with Calculus if all you are looking for is how to use the techniques and have a lot of problems to practice with.

If you ever feel like getting a more theortical view on Calculus there are options, but I don't think everyone needs or wants that.

Well,I'll be studying calculus at school next year so I'll get a chance to really understand calculus then.I am studying for the physics olympiad now.Can anyone tell me how much calculus do I need for every branch of physics up to quantum mechanics?
Also,for solving more difficult physics problems,do I need to know more maths?

oftigus said:
What do you mean by saying Stewart's is bad?I got up to chapter 3(Applications of Differentiation) and I didn't have any trouble understanding it.

Like Marne said, the book lacks any sort of rigor, which isn't a good thing. Being able to understand a book doesn't mean that it's good.

Although you did say that you'll be learning Calculus next year in school, so as long as Stewart isn't your only source for learning Calculus, you should be fine.

micromass said:
If you just want to do calculus to apply it in physics, then you should consider this excellent calculus book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's in many ways superior than the horrible book of Stewart. Be sure to check this arrata first though: http://www.kurup.org/blog/2003/12/11/errata-for-quick-calculus/

This seems like a great book for my needs.Can anyone tell me some place where I can download or buy it in pdf format?I'd have a pretty hard time getting a copy of the book in the country where I live in.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How much calculus is needed for physics

1. How much calculus do I need to know for physics?

Calculus is an essential tool in physics and is used to describe and analyze many physical phenomena. You will need to have a solid understanding of both differential and integral calculus to succeed in physics.

2. Can I learn physics without knowing calculus?

While it is possible to learn some basic concepts in physics without knowing calculus, you will eventually need to have a good understanding of calculus to fully understand and apply advanced physics theories and equations.

3. Is there a specific level of calculus that is required for physics?

Generally, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus (calculus I and II) before starting physics courses. This includes concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and basic applications. Multivariable calculus (calculus III) is also useful for more advanced physics topics.

4. How can I improve my calculus skills for physics?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your calculus skills for physics. Make sure to review and understand the fundamental concepts and equations, and then work on solving a variety of problems and equations. Seek help from a tutor or professor if needed.

5. Is it possible to study physics without using calculus?

While some basic physics concepts can be understood without using calculus, it is not possible to fully study and understand advanced physics theories and equations without using calculus. Calculus is an integral part of physics and is necessary for solving complex problems and equations.