How much circuits knowledge is needed to study device physics?

In summary, to excel in physical electronics in graduate school, it would be beneficial to have a strong understanding of circuitry and semiconductor physics. This may require taking additional circuitry classes to gain a deeper understanding of concepts such as resistor networks, transistor models, and circuit analysis techniques, as well as modern digital and analog design techniques and microcontrollers. A solid understanding of semiconductor physics, including band structure and carrier transport, is also important.
ngjimmy310
Circuits knowledge required for physical electronics?

I'm planning to study physical electronics and device/semiconductor physics in grad school. My relevant undergrad physics classes consisted of quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, circuits, experimental physics, and solid state physics. I also took some electives in electrical engineering and materials science.

I have knowledge of basic semiconductor circuits with little design experience. Would it be beneficial for me to take more circuitry classes to prepare me for graduate school? Or is what I've done enough preparation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it would be beneficial for you to take more circuitry classes to prepare for physical electronics in graduate school. Depending on the specific program you are planning to attend, you may need a more in-depth understanding of circuitry. For example, you may need to understand concepts such as resistor networks, transistor models, and circuit analysis techniques. You should also be familiar with modern digital and analog design techniques, such as CMOS, TTL, and FPGA. Additionally, it could be helpful to learn more about microcontrollers and embedded systems. Lastly, it is important to understand the fundamentals of semiconductor physics, such as band structure and carrier transport.

Related to How much circuits knowledge is needed to study device physics?

1. How much background knowledge in circuits is necessary to study device physics?

The exact amount of background knowledge in circuits required to study device physics will vary depending on the specific area of device physics being studied. However, a solid understanding of basic circuit principles such as Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and circuit analysis techniques is essential. It is also helpful to have knowledge of more advanced topics such as semiconductor materials and electronic components.

2. Can I study device physics without any prior knowledge of circuits?

While some fundamental concepts in device physics can be understood without prior knowledge of circuits, a strong understanding of circuit principles is highly recommended. Without this background, it may be difficult to fully comprehend the operation and behavior of electronic devices.

3. Is it necessary to have hands-on experience with circuits to study device physics?

Hands-on experience with circuits is not always necessary to study device physics, as much of the learning can be done through theoretical analysis and simulation. That being said, practical experience can greatly enhance understanding and provide valuable insights into the behavior of real-world devices.

4. How can I improve my understanding of circuits for studying device physics?

To improve your understanding of circuits for studying device physics, it is recommended to start with the basics and gradually build upon your knowledge. You can also practice solving circuit problems and working with circuit simulation software. Additionally, seeking out supplemental resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and lectures can be helpful.

5. Are there any specific topics in circuits that are particularly important for studying device physics?

Yes, there are several key topics in circuits that are particularly relevant for studying device physics. These include semiconductor materials and their properties, diode and transistor operation, amplifiers, and digital logic circuits. Understanding these concepts will provide a solid foundation for further study in device physics.