How Much CO2 is Produced in a Combustion Reaction with 93% Yield?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a combustion reaction between C8H18 and oxygen, with a given mass of 15g for each substance. The question asks for the mass of CO2 produced with a 93% yield. The expert suggests finding the number of moles of octane and CO2, and using this information to determine the mass of CO2 produced.
EnergyField
Hi, I'm stuck with this problem.

C8H18 ------> H20 + 8CO2

There is 15g of C8H18 and 15g of Oxygen to make combustion reaction.

If the actual yield percent of CO2 is 93%, what mass of CO2 will be produced?

I approched with Morecular weight to get mol. and...I totally get lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would usually start here by asking you to balance your equation but you don't need to in this case. You notice that there is a particular ratio of CO2 to octane in this example? Find the number of moles of octane you have in 15 g. How many moles of CO2 will be produced if the reaction has a 100% yield? A 93% yield? From moles of CO2 you should be able to determine mass...

Hello, it seems like you are trying to calculate the mass of CO2 produced in a combustion reaction. To do this, you will need to use the balanced chemical equation provided: C8H18 ------> H20 + 8CO2.

First, you will need to determine the number of moles of C8H18 and O2 that are present. You can do this by dividing the given masses (15g) by their respective molecular weights (114 g/mol for C8H18 and 32 g/mol for O2). This will give you 0.132 moles of C8H18 and 0.469 moles of O2.

Next, you need to determine the limiting reactant in this reaction. This is the reactant that will be completely consumed and will determine the amount of product that can be formed. In this case, it is the C8H18 because there is less of it compared to O2.

Using the mole ratio from the balanced equation, we can determine that for every 1 mole of C8H18, 8 moles of CO2 will be produced. Therefore, with 0.132 moles of C8H18, we can expect 8 x 0.132 = 1.056 moles of CO2 to be produced.

Finally, we can use the given actual yield percent (93%) to determine the actual mass of CO2 produced. This can be done by multiplying the expected number of moles (1.056) by the molecular weight of CO2 (44 g/mol) and then multiplying by the actual yield percent (93%). This will give you a final answer of 43.6 g of CO2 produced.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Remember to always start with a balanced equation and use the mole ratio to determine the amount of product produced. Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: How Much CO2 is Produced in a Combustion Reaction with 93% Yield?

1. What is the definition of mass in chemistry?

In chemistry, mass refers to the amount of matter in an object or substance. It is often measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

2. How do you calculate the mass of a product?

The mass of a product can be calculated by measuring the amount of each reactant used in a chemical reaction and using stoichiometry to determine the amount of product that should be produced. The actual mass of the product can then be measured and compared to the calculated mass to determine the percent yield.

3. What is the difference between atomic mass and molecular mass?

Atomic mass refers to the mass of an individual atom, while molecular mass refers to the mass of a molecule. Atomic mass is measured in atomic mass units (amu) and molecular mass is measured in grams per mole (g/mol).

4. How does the mass of a product affect the yield of a reaction?

The mass of a product can affect the yield of a reaction as it is directly related to the amount of reactants used and the efficiency of the reaction. If the mass of a product is lower than expected, it could indicate a lower yield due to incomplete reaction or loss of product during the process.

5. How does the purity of a product impact its mass?

The purity of a product can impact its mass as impurities can add to the overall mass of the substance. To accurately calculate the mass of a product, it is important to account for any impurities and determine the percentage of purity in the final product.

Back