How Much Coffee Spills From a Heated Beaker?

In summary: Yes, I found that too. I was wondering if the value was stated in the text somewhere or if the OP looked it up.
owura143
Urgent help need.Please ! Heat question

1. During an all-night cram session, a student heats up a one-half liter (0.50 10-3 m3) glass (Pyrex) beaker of cold coffee. Initially, the temperature is 20°C, and the beaker is filled to the brim. A short time later when the student returns, the temperature has risen to 92°C. The coefficient of volume expansion of coffee is the same as that of water. How much coffee (in cubic meters) has spilled out of the beaker?

Coefficient of volume expansion for water is 207 x 10^-6

I used the equation

delta V = beta x volume x delta T

= 207x10^-6 X 0.5x10^-3 X 72

= 7.452 X 10 ^-6

But the answer is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the units of beta?

That looks fine to me. What's the answer supposed to be?

The unit is 1/ degrees celcius.

i don't know the right answer

Ok. Are you sure that isn't a coefficient of linear expansion? Sorry, but I can't check for you right now.

water has no coefficient of linera expansion

that seems wrong, volume or sg changes by a couple of percent over the range mentioned.

Last edited:
my bad it asks to be reported in cubic meters. I get the same answer.

Last edited:
Where did you get your value for beta from?

Hage, I looked it up as well, was 0.00021 on Wiki iirc.

denverdoc said:
Hage, I looked it up as well, was 0.00021 on Wiki iirc.

I finally got out from under internet blockages as well, and I notice that that is correct at 20 degrees, but it's over 3 times larger at 90 degrees. Perhaps, choosing an intermediate temperature would give you a better approximation.

Dick said:
I finally got out from under internet blockages as well, and I notice that that is correct at 20 degrees, but it's over 3 times larger at 90 degrees. Perhaps, choosing an intermediate temperature would give you a better approximation.

Yes, I found that too. I was wondering if the value was stated in the text somewhere or if the OP looked it up.

Related to How Much Coffee Spills From a Heated Beaker?

1. What is the best way to provide urgent help for someone experiencing heat-related issues?

The best way to provide urgent help for someone experiencing heat-related issues is to first move them to a cool and shaded area. Then, have them drink cool water and apply cool compresses to their body. If the symptoms do not improve, seek medical help immediately.

2. What are the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke?

The signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion include heavy sweating, pale skin, muscle cramps, fatigue, dizziness, headache, and nausea. Heat stroke, on the other hand, can cause a high body temperature, rapid heartbeat, confusion, seizures, and loss of consciousness.

3. How can I prevent heat-related illnesses?

To prevent heat-related illnesses, it is important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, especially when spending time outside in hot weather. Wearing light-colored and loose-fitting clothing can also help. Avoid being in direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day and take frequent breaks in a cool and shaded area.

4. What should I do if someone is experiencing heat stroke?

If someone is experiencing heat stroke, call for emergency medical assistance immediately. While waiting for help to arrive, move the person to a cool and shaded area, remove any excess clothing, and apply cool compresses to their body. Do not give them anything to drink.

5. Can heat-related illnesses be fatal?

Yes, heat-related illnesses can be fatal if left untreated. Heat stroke, in particular, is a medical emergency and can lead to organ damage or death. It is important to seek immediate medical help if you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of heat exhaustion or heat stroke.