How Much Dead Load Can a Square Cross-Section Beam Support?

• Thread starter rad10k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the safe load that can be supported by a beam with a solid square cross section and two supports 3m apart. The main issue is determining the allowable safe stress of the material used for the beam. The conversation also mentions a similar question about calculating the safe load for a mild steel column, but it is incomplete without knowing the length and end conditions of the column.
rad10k
Can someone please give me and equation for solving the following question. Q. A beam has a solid square cross section of 100mm and is simply supported by two supports 3m apart. Calculate the dead load that can safely be supported when applied to the middle of the beam?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't calculate the safe load without knowing the safe allowable stress for the material. Please show an attempt at a solution.

thanks , Does this mean the question is incomplete as I need to know the type of material used for the beam? I really consfused with this question and the coursework doesn't have any examples of this.

rad10k said:
thanks , Does this mean the question is incomplete as I need to know the type of material used for the beam? I really consfused with this question and the coursework doesn't have any examples of this.
That's correct. A hi strength steel beam can safely carry about 5 or 10 times the safe load of a wood beam with the same cross section and length. You need to know the allowable safe stress of the material. Once that is known, then you can calculate the value of the max point load at the center, P, by finding the moment and stress produced by that load , as a function of P and the the given properties (you need to calculate I) of the section, and set it equal to the allowable stress to solve for P.

thank you very much. This makes me think that this question in my course work is incomplete too " A mild steel columm of cross section 100mm x 50mm Assume a safety factor of 6, calculate the safe load it can withstand? " from this I decided to use rankine's formula for columms Oc=510 A=5000mm2(not sure if that is the correct square mm for xsection) divided by K=6 x [1+{a=7500(A mutplied by Ee(WHICH IS EQUIVLENT LENGTH IN MM -- THE QUESTION IS THE ONLY QUESTION IN THE COURSE WORK WHICH DOESNT GIVE THE LENTGH OF THE COLUMM IN QUESTION -- AM I BEING STUPID OR IS THE QUESTION MISSING THE INFO?) then divide all this by I = 104666.7 and the answer is given. thanks for any help. I have noticed some of the progress check questions were wrong and a tutor confirmed one of them. I don't want to waste time wondering why I casnt find the answer if its the course work that's wrong!

You can't determine the critical buckling load without knowing the end conditions and the column length. I suppose tou can look up the other properties of mild steel, like max stress and Young's modulus, but you definitely need to be given the length and end conditions.

thanks jay that's saved me a lot of time trying to work out why I can't solve the problem :eek:)

FAQ: How Much Dead Load Can a Square Cross-Section Beam Support?

1. What is the "help beam equation" used for?

The "help beam equation" is a mathematical formula used to calculate the deflection and stress of a beam under a given load. It is commonly used in civil engineering and structural design to ensure the safety and stability of a structure.

2. How do I solve the help beam equation?

The help beam equation can be solved using various methods, including analytical, numerical, and graphical techniques. The method used will depend on the complexity of the problem and the available resources. It is recommended to consult with a trained engineer or use specialized software for accurate results.

3. What are the variables in the help beam equation?

The variables in the help beam equation may vary depending on the specific form of the equation. However, some common variables include the beam's length, cross-sectional area, material properties, and applied load. It is essential to carefully identify and define all variables to ensure the accuracy of the results.

4. Can the help beam equation be applied to all types of beams?

The help beam equation is a general formula that can be applied to a wide range of beams, including simple beams, cantilever beams, and continuous beams. However, it may not be suitable for more complex beam structures or situations, such as beams with varying cross-sections or loads.

5. Are there any limitations to the help beam equation?

Like any mathematical formula, the help beam equation has its limitations. It assumes a linear relationship between the applied load and the resulting deflection and stress, which may not be accurate in some cases. It also does not consider factors such as shear and torsional stresses, which can significantly affect the behavior of some beams. Therefore, it is crucial to use the equation with caution and consider other factors when designing a structure.