How much do theoretical and experimental physicist get paid

In summary, the conversation discusses the salaries of physicists and how they vary depending on location and type of job. It is noted that living costs must be taken into account when comparing salaries in different areas. The topic of theoretical and experimental physicists' salaries is brought up, with the conclusion that there is no clear difference in income between the two disciplines. The conversation also mentions the possibility of working in industry, which can result in higher salaries. It is noted that while physicists should not pursue the field solely for the money, it is possible to have a decent life and even save money with a physics career.
potato123
I like physics but i don't want to worry about having enough money to afford a house or an apartment and l like would like to eat out without a coupon.

Physics news on Phys.org
potato123 said:
I like physics but i don't want to worry about having enough money to afford a house or an apartment and l like would like to eat out without a coupon.
Yeah, we don't get paid that badly. Wages strongly depend on your geography. Here are the statistics for US PhD starting salary -- the first job out of a PhD. https://www.aip.org/statistics/employment/salaries Here are some numbers for jobs in the US throughout your career. I don't know how reliable this website is. http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Physicist/Salary median for 5-10 years post PhD is 88K.

A good exercise would be to take a look at job advertisements for the kind of job you'd like to do.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
e.bar.goum said:
Wages strongly depend on your geography.

So do living costs, of course. You have to take those into account when comparing salaries in, say, the NYC and SF areas with smaller places in the Midwest or South. Where I live, you can get a 3br2ba house in a nice (not ritzy) neighborhood for $180,000, and property taxes are about $1000 per year.

Likes AstroBoogie
jtbell said:
So do living costs, of course. You have to take those into account when comparing salaries in, say, the NYC and SF areas with smaller places in the Midwest or South. Where I live, you can get a 3br2ba house in a nice (not ritzy) neighborhood for $180,000, and property taxes are about $1000 per year.
Of course. And you can't buy a house the size of a postage stamp for that much in Australia, but wages are much higher for postdocs than they are in the US.

But I think it's fairly safe to say that physicists get paid enough to live comfortably, in general.

So when I read the title of this thread ("how much do theoretical and experimental physicist get paid"), it reminded me of the account that comedian Kathy Griffin gave during one of her performances where she attended a Celine Dion concert in Vegas. She said that at one point during the concert, Celine Dion said "This next song is dedicated to all the parents in the audience... and also the children". Kathy Griffin then looked at her audience and asked "That's like... EVERYONE, isn't it?"

So when I see this question about how much money theoretical and experimental physicists make, my initial reaction was "Doesn't that cover ALL physicists?" One could have just easily asked "How much money does a physicist make?"

Of course, there is another possibility that the OP wants to know if there is a difference in income between "theoretical" and "experimental" physicists. But as has been pointed out already, there is such a spread in salary already due to different job types, levels, and locations, that I can't see any clear demarcation of salaries between the two disciplines. Besides, one may be trained in one or the other, but in practice, physicists tend to do some of each in many cases.

Zz.

Are salaries usually higher for industry positions?

in turkey professors get paid terribly (around 5-6k in liras which is less than 2k$ but they also work in industry they say that they get 4 times of their salary. a decent house in a decent place is 350-400k). our graduates mostly get a phd in usa or western europe and work there. they say that they are quite happy with their salaries, they can live easily also save some money. (a euro is 3,3 liras a dollar is more than 3 liras) if they ever return they they return as a rich man. most of my professors worked in usa before. if you want to be a physicist don't do it for the money but if you work for it you can have a decent life. also if you live in a country like mine go work abroad for 10-15 years you will have an exciting life.

Related to How much do theoretical and experimental physicist get paid

1. What is the average salary for theoretical and experimental physicists?

The average salary for theoretical and experimental physicists varies depending on factors such as location, education level, and years of experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists in May 2020 was $131,080.

2. Do theoretical and experimental physicists get paid the same amount?

No, theoretical and experimental physicists may have different salaries depending on their specific roles and responsibilities. Theoretical physicists may focus on developing theories and concepts, while experimental physicists may conduct experiments and gather data. This can result in different salary levels.

3. How does the salary of a physicist compare to other science-related careers?

The salary of a physicist tends to be higher than other science-related careers, such as chemists or biologists. This is due to the specialized and technical nature of the field, as well as the high demand for physicists in various industries.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement and higher pay in the field of theoretical and experimental physics?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement and higher pay in the field of theoretical and experimental physics. Physicists with advanced degrees and years of experience may have the opportunity to lead research projects, mentor junior scientists, or take on leadership roles in their organizations, which can result in higher salaries.

5. Are there any additional factors that can impact the salary of a theoretical or experimental physicist?

Yes, besides education level and experience, other factors that can impact the salary of a theoretical or experimental physicist include the type of industry they work in, the size and location of the organization, and their specific job responsibilities. Private sector positions tend to offer higher salaries than government or academic positions.