How much do you get to help/deal with people in engineering?

• Thread starter Emily R.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation was about a high school student's interest in pursuing a career in engineering and their desire for a branch of engineering that involves more interaction with people. Some input from a researcher was shared, stating that engineers spend a significant amount of time interacting with others and coordinating activities. However, personal experience from someone in the engineering field suggests that the majority of their time is actually spent in meetings, filling out reports, and other non-engineering tasks. The speaker also mentions the importance of business practice and the role of politics in the engineering workplace. Overall, the conversation highlights the difference between the portrayal of engineering in school and the reality of the job.
Emily R.
Hi! I'm a high school student currently looking to potentially go to college for engineering. I'm not very concerned with my abilities in math and science, as I've always done well in those subjects and math in particular is a favorite subject of mine. However, I'm wondering if there's a branch of engineering that might fit with my interests more. The main reason I've strayed from considering engineering in the past is because I want a career where I can interact with people to some degree, help them, and be able to see and know that I'm helping them. From what I've read, engineering is about creating solutions to problems, but I'd like to be able to interact with the people I'm helping more than it seems most engineers do.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this aspect of engineering, or know of a branch that fits what I'm looking for? Sorry if my question is hard to understand. Thank you so much for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are looking for one kind of engineering or another (Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil, for example), but rather for a job after graduation within your chosen field that will have lots of people interaction.

Likes Emily R.
Emily R. said:
Hi! I'm a high school student currently looking to potentially go to college for engineering. I'm not very concerned with my abilities in math and science, as I've always done well in those subjects and math in particular is a favorite subject of mine. However, I'm wondering if there's a branch of engineering that might fit with my interests more. The main reason I've strayed from considering engineering in the past is because I want a career where I can interact with people to some degree, help them, and be able to see and know that I'm helping them. From what I've read, engineering is about creating solutions to problems, but I'd like to be able to interact with the people I'm helping more than it seems most engineers do.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this aspect of engineering, or know of a branch that fits what I'm looking for? Sorry if my question is hard to understand. Thank you so much for your input!
Believe me, once you become an engineer, you will not lack for interaction with different people, especially as deadlines for projects approach. You will be urged to create time travel ("I need this done, and I need it done yesterday!"), and constantly motivated to do the impossible with little in the way of time, money, or other resources.

You will find that sometimes, the chief impediment to creating solutions and reaching your goals is all this interaction going on with other people.

Likes Emily R. and Jaeusm
James Trevelyan has done some research in this area, he said;
  • Regardless of experience or title, about 60% of an engineer’s time is spent in direct interactions with other people.
  • Engineers spend approximately 30% of their time coordinating the activities of others.
You can listen to him speak on the topic here:
http://theengineeringcommons.com/episode-19-value/
There are some relevant links in the notes.

Likes Emily R.
billy_joule said:
James Trevelyan has done some research in this area, he said;
  • Regardless of experience or title, about 60% of an engineer’s time is spent in direct interactions with other people.
  • Engineers spend approximately 30% of their time coordinating the activities of others.
You can listen to him speak on the topic here:
http://theengineeringcommons.com/episode-19-value/
There are some relevant links in the notes.
That only leaves about 10% of an engineer's time actually spent engineering. o_O :frown: :sorry:

Likes Emily R.
SteamKing said:
That only leaves about 10% of an engineer's time actually spent engineering. o_O :frown: :sorry:
A quick skim of his paper 'Technical Coordination in Engineering Practice' suggests time spent coordinating others is a subset of time spent interacting with others.

Likes Emily R.
Our applications engineers are constantly in direct contact with their customers daily. They are often traveling to the sites where our products are being implemented to evaluate/troubleshoot areas of concern. Our process and manufacturing engineers are much less engaged with customers - if at all. I can tell you from personal experience that the majority of our days in general are spent in meetings, filling out expense reports, dabbling with CAD, running FEA, etc.

I believe there is a large difference between how the school system portrays an engineering career and what it's actually like - at least in the US. I was eager to start designing gadgets and equipment to help people. I was ready to start using everything I had learned in school. The reality of it is, applying what you've learned in school is hardly half of the job. What they don't teach you in an engineering curriculum is equally, if not more important, and that is business practice. The politics play a HUGE role in what you will be doing. For some reason, I guess I just assumed that solving problems and designing in the work place was done without money in mind haha. I quickly learned that no matter how brilliant of an idea you have, you had better be able to justify the cost. Often times that is easy to do. What isn't easy to do is to explain why it can't be done with half of the parts, or differently all together. Companies want the cheapest and quickest alternative. They don't need something to be perfect. They just need it to work, not cost a fortune, and not cause the loss of an appendage.

Back on topic, outside of technical sales "engineers" I would say application engineers spend a good majority of their time dealing directly with customers.

Likes billy_joule and Emily R.

FAQ: How much do you get to help/deal with people in engineering?

1. How much interaction do engineers have with people in their daily work?

The amount of interaction an engineer has with people on a daily basis depends on their specific job role and industry. Some engineers may work primarily in a lab or office setting and have limited interaction with others, while others may work on projects that require frequent collaboration with team members and clients.

2. Do engineers have to communicate with non-technical individuals?

Yes, engineers often have to communicate with non-technical individuals, such as clients, stakeholders, and members of other departments. This requires effective communication skills and the ability to explain complex technical concepts in a way that is understandable to those without a technical background.

3. How important is interpersonal skills for engineers?

Interpersonal skills are crucial for engineers, as they often work in teams and need to effectively communicate and collaborate with others. Good interpersonal skills also help engineers to build strong relationships with clients and stakeholders, which can be beneficial for the success of a project.

4. Do engineers need to have strong problem-solving abilities in dealing with people?

Yes, engineers need to have strong problem-solving abilities in dealing with people, as they often have to navigate challenging situations and find solutions that satisfy both technical requirements and the needs of individuals involved in a project. This requires a combination of technical knowledge and interpersonal skills.

5. How does dealing with people impact the overall engineering process?

Dealing with people plays a significant role in the engineering process, as it involves collaboration and communication with team members, clients, and stakeholders. Effective communication and relationship-building can lead to a smoother and more successful project, while poor communication and conflict can hinder progress and impact the final outcome.