How much does liquid helium cost

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of purchasing helium and liquid nitrogen in liquid form. The speaker is not looking to buy in bulk and is curious about the cost for both types of gas per gallon. The cost of liquid nitrogen is significantly cheaper than helium, but it is not easy to purchase in small quantities. The cost of constructing a quantum dot and the amount of helium used in the process is also mentioned.
Mk
No, I'm not thinking of buying one/any, but how much does one cost?, any type. Plus, how much do the two commonmost types of helium in liquid form, and/or liquid nitrogen, cost per gallon? I know liquid nitrogen is cheaper... a lot.

...If I were to not buy in bulk.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Mk said:
No, I'm not thinking of buying one/any, but how much does one cost?, any type. Plus, how much do the two commonmost types of helium in liquid form, and/or liquid nitrogen, cost per gallon? I know liquid nitrogen is cheaper... a lot.

...If I were to not buy in bulk.
A quantum dot isn't really something you can buy. Nitrogen is on the order of a dime a gallon, but that's high volume manufacuring prices. You can't really just go buy 10 gal of it.

russ_watters said:
A quantum dot isn't really something you can buy. Nitrogen is on the order of a dime a gallon, but that's high volume manufacuring prices. You can't really just go buy 10 gal of it.

No, I ment like at MIT, the cost of constructing one the cost of how much helium they use...

russ_watters said:
You can't really just go buy 10 gal of it.

I know a guy, he had ohh... actually about 10 gallons of it in a tank in his classroom.

FAQ: How much does liquid helium cost

1. How is the cost of liquid helium determined?

The cost of liquid helium is determined by several factors, including supply and demand, production and transportation costs, and market fluctuations. In addition, the purity and quality of the helium can also affect its price.

2. What is the current market price for liquid helium?

The current market price for liquid helium can vary depending on location and supplier, but it typically ranges from $4 to $15 per liter. However, prices can fluctuate significantly due to supply and demand, and may be subject to additional fees or surcharges.

3. Why is liquid helium so expensive?

Liquid helium is considered expensive due to its scarcity and the high costs associated with its extraction, production, and transportation. It is also a highly specialized and essential resource for various industries, such as healthcare, electronics, and research, which contributes to its high demand and cost.

4. Are there any alternatives to using liquid helium?

While liquid helium is the most commonly used coolant for low-temperature applications, there are some alternatives available, such as liquid nitrogen and cryocoolers. However, these alternatives may not have the same cooling capabilities as liquid helium and may require additional equipment or modifications.

5. Can individual consumers purchase liquid helium?

Liquid helium is primarily used for industrial and scientific purposes, so it is typically not available for individual consumers to purchase. However, some companies may sell small quantities of liquid helium for personal use, but it may be subject to strict regulations and require specialized equipment for handling and storage.