How much does the general GRE matter? The subject test?

In summary: It varies from school to school. Some schools make it optional because they don't consider it to be an important factor, but will see a high score as positive. Some schools make it optional, but would really prefer to see it and state things along the lines of "it is strongly recommended to submit a subject test score" and/or "if you don't submit a score, you need to explain why".One school (which I can't remember right now) explicitly said something like "the subject score is optional, but its absence will make your application look weaker".
LogicX
Is it possible to impress a committee for (science) graduate school applications with GRE general test scores? What about with the non-math sections? Would even a perfect score or close to it on one of the sections stand out, or would it still just be a litmus test that doesn't really make you stand out?

And regarding the subject test. Is it another litmus test or can it help/hurt you? Does a mediocre/average grade hurt you? I feel like the GRE can only hurt you if you do average, and doesn't really help you if you do above average. Is this true or am I underestimating its value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The General GRE has essentially zero weight.

The subject test is an important piece in the decision process. It's a useful piece of information supporting good grades, and it's one of the few things that will shore up less than good grades.

Vanadium 50 said:
The General GRE has essentially zero weight.

The subject test is an important piece in the decision process. It's a useful piece of information supporting good grades, and it's one of the few things that will shore up less than good grades.

And here I was excited about my general test scores... I guess I still have the harder one to deal with then.

What if you don't do great on the subject GRE but have amazing letters of rec + good grades + research experience?

I do horrible on tests like these, so I don't want a nothing special PGRE score to reflect too poorly?

So, what about not submitting an optional subject test score? Let's say you have a tremendous application except that you don't take the subject test (I am taking it, but this is hypothetical). How much does that hurt an application? What % of people applying to schools where the subject test is not required apply without and, and how many of them get in?

It varies from school to school. Some schools make it optional because they don't consider it to be an important factor, but will see a high score as positive. Some schools make it optional, but would really prefer to see it and state things along the lines of "it is strongly recommended to submit a subject test score" and/or "if you don't submit a score, you need to explain why". One school (which I can't remember right now) explicitly said something like "the subject score is optional, but its absence will make your application look weaker".

Related to How much does the general GRE matter? The subject test?

1. How much does an individual's performance on the general GRE matter in graduate school admissions?

The importance of the general GRE in graduate school admissions varies among programs and institutions. Some schools place a heavy emphasis on GRE scores and use them as a major factor in their admissions decisions, while others consider them as just one aspect of the application and place more weight on other factors such as GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Is it necessary to take the subject test for graduate school admissions?

The decision to take a subject test for graduate school admissions also varies among programs and institutions. Generally, subject tests are required for specific programs or fields, such as the sciences or engineering. It is important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the subject test is necessary.

3. How do GRE scores compare to other factors in the graduate school admissions process?

GRE scores are just one aspect of the graduate school admissions process and are typically considered alongside other factors such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to have a strong overall application to increase your chances of admission.

4. Can a low GRE score hinder an individual's chances of getting into graduate school?

While a low GRE score can make it more challenging to gain admission to some programs, it is not necessarily a determining factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects of an individual's application and may overlook a lower GRE score if the rest of the application is strong. Additionally, some programs may have a minimum GRE score requirement, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

5. Can an individual retake the GRE if they are not satisfied with their score?

Yes, individuals can retake the GRE if they are not satisfied with their score. However, there are limitations to how often the test can be taken and a fee for each attempt. It is important to prepare thoroughly for the GRE and take it seriously to avoid needing to retake it multiple times.