How Much Energy Can a 450 m² Solar Panel Collect in an Hour?

• Thread starter kdrobey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the average intensity of sunlight at the top of the Earth's atmosphere is 1390 W/m2. A 10 m multiplied by 45 m solar panel can collect 625500W of power at one time. To calculate the maximum energy it can collect in one hour, you need to convert watt-seconds to a form of energy measurement. The incorrect calculation done by multiplying the speed of light by 3600 seconds and the power gathered by the panel resulted in an enormous number that is not in units of energy.
kdrobey

Homework Statement

The average intensity of sunlight at the top of the Earth's atmosphere is 1390 W/m2. What is the maximum energy that a 10 m multiplied by 45 m solar panel could collect in one hour in this sunlight?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied average density x area of the solar panel, and got 625500W that are gathered by the panel at one time. From here i did:(v of light x 3600s)x 625500w, but this just gave me an enormous number. what else can i do here?

Physics news on Phys.org
kdrobey said:

Homework Statement

The average intensity of sunlight at the top of the Earth's atmosphere is 1390 W/m2. What is the maximum energy that a 10 m multiplied by 45 m solar panel could collect in one hour in this sunlight?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied average density x area of the solar panel, and got 625500W that are gathered by the panel at one time. From here i did:(v of light x 3600s)x 625500w, but this just gave me an enormous number. what else can i do here?

Your big number is in units of watts and seconds. What can watt-seconds be converted to? Is that possibly some form of energy measurement?

I agree with your calculation of the maximum power the solar panel can recieve.

kdrobey said:
1. From here i did:(v of light x 3600s)x 625500w, but this just gave me an enormous number. what else can i do here?

Am I right in thinking you multiplied this by the speed of light? If so this would make your calculation of the energy incorrect, if you included the units on the velocity it would be clear that your equation doesn't result in an energy. You were really close though...

Related to How Much Energy Can a 450 m² Solar Panel Collect in an Hour?

What is maximum energy?

Maximum energy refers to the maximum amount of energy that can be produced or stored by a system. In the case of solar panels, it refers to the highest amount of energy that can be generated by the panel under ideal conditions.

What factors affect the maximum energy output of a solar panel?

The maximum energy output of a solar panel is affected by several factors, including the panel's size, orientation, angle, shading, and efficiency. Other external factors such as weather conditions and location can also impact its maximum energy output.

How do solar panels convert sunlight into energy?

Solar panels use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. These cells are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb photons from sunlight and release electrons, creating an electric current.

Can the maximum energy output of a solar panel be increased?

Yes, the maximum energy output of a solar panel can be increased by optimizing its placement and orientation, keeping it clean and free from debris, and using more efficient panels. Additionally, connecting multiple panels in a series or parallel configuration can also increase the maximum energy output.

What is the typical lifespan of a solar panel?

The typical lifespan of a solar panel is around 25-30 years. However, this can vary depending on the quality of the panel, its maintenance, and the environmental conditions it is exposed to.