How Much Energy Can Be Extracted from a Rotating Disk?

In summary, the solid disk is rotating at a steady angular speed without any external force being applied. If it is stopped gradually within 60 seconds by applying a linear load, the total amount of kinetic energy that can be extracted is determined by converting Joules to kilowatt hours. Doubling the angular speed doubles the angular momentum but quadruples the kinetic energy. Applying a load and slowing down the wheel by 50% results in a loss of 75% of the kinetic energy. The total amount of Joules that can be extracted is more complex to determine. In real life, to stop the wheel in 60 seconds, a load is needed. To stop the wheel with double speed in 60 seconds, only double the load is
aladinlamp
As you can see, solid disk is rotating at steady angular speed, without any external force beeing applied.

If i stop it gradualy within 60 second, by applying some linear load, how many kWh can i extract from this moving object?

inertia.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
At most the total kinetic energy. You just have to convert J to kWh.

mfb said:
At most the total kinetic energy. You just have to convert J to kWh.

If i double angular speed,it doubles angular momentum but but why it quadruples Kinetic energy ?

If i apply load in this case and slow down the wheel by 50%, it looses 75% of kinetic energy, so i think total amount of J which i can extract is more complex to determine or am i missing something?
inertia2.jpg

aladinlamp said:
If i double angular speed,it doubles angular momentum but but why it quadruples Kinetic energy ?
Because of how they are defined.

ok so in real life, to stop wheel in 60 seconds i need some load,
to stop wheel with double speed in 60 seconds, do i need double load or quadruple load ?

i would say , i need just double load

so what does this KE represent in real life?

aladinlamp said:
so what does this KE represent in real life?
This:
aladinlamp said:
how many kWh can i extract from this moving object?

Last edited:
my point is, to accelerate wheel from zero to some speed it takes 1 unit of J

to double the speed it takes another 1 unit of J

so 2 unit of J total, linear relationship, when it comes to power inputbut somehow power output, KE is not linear but exponencial ?

aladinlamp said:
my point is, to accelerate wheel from zero to some speed it takes 1 unit of J

to double the speed it takes another 1 unit of J

No, it takes additional 3J to double the speed that was achieved by 1J.

if i set torque to fixed value, to accelarate from zero to some speed it takes 1 unit of time, to accelarate to double speed from zero with same torque, it takes 2 units of time

so i see pretty linear input, not 1J vs 3J as you said

aladinlamp said:
so i see pretty linear input,
Input of what?

torque * time
or
force * time

aladinlamp said:
torque * time
Is that energy?

no its, not

but how do you calculate it in this case,

In rotational systems, power is the product of the torque τ and angular velocity ω,

9c7474f3d90aa327b5ef37257a11343a.png

this is linear relationship, just tell me how did you get your exponencial

is it sum of energies from zero to some speed vs sum of energies from some speed to double speed?

ok so according to this

if i rotate the wheel with some electric motor and measure electricity consumption
from zero to speed x ,it will take let's say 10 seconds and i will use let's say 1 kwh

during another 10 seconds i accelerate from x to 2x, and use additional 3 kwh ?

is this correct according to facts above?

aladinlamp said:
ok so according to this

if i rotate the wheel with some electric motor and measure electricity consumption
from zero to speed x ,it will take let's say 10 seconds and i will use let's say 1 kwh

during another 10 seconds i accelerate from x to 2x, and use additional 3 kwh ?

is this correct according to facts above?
Assuming 100% efficiency, yes.

Likes mfb

FAQ: How Much Energy Can Be Extracted from a Rotating Disk?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a reference point.

2. How is angular momentum related to power?

Angular momentum and power are related through the concept of torque. Torque is the rotational force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the angular momentum, the greater the torque needed to change the object's rotation. Power is the rate at which work is done, and torque is a measure of work. Therefore, the greater the angular momentum, the greater the power needed to change the object's rotation.

3. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates). This results in a vector quantity with units of kilogram meters squared per second (kg*m^2/s).

4. What is the relationship between angular momentum and conservation of energy?

Angular momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system. This is related to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Therefore, in a closed system, the total amount of angular momentum and energy will remain constant.

5. How is angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum is used in many real-world applications, including spacecraft navigation, gyroscope stabilization, and the design of turbines and engines. It is also a key concept in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.

Back