How Much Energy Enters Your Eye from a Light Bulb?

In summary, the light bulb emits 7.5 watts of power and 1.60725 watts of energy enter your eye per second.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

You stand 2.7 m from a 150 W light bulb that converts 5% of the electrical energy dissipated within it to light.

(a) If the pupil of your eye is 5 mm in diameter, how much energy enters you eye per second? ___J

Homework Equations

Iave= Pave/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought, since the total power output is 150W * 5% = 7.5, I could fine the Pave by Pave=Ptotal ^2 x 0.5 = 28.125. That did not work. I don't understand why this approach would not equal the answer, knowing that Power=Energy/sec, and we're assuming 1 sec. here. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much area is the light spread out over at a distance 2.7 meters away? (What does this mean geometrically, and what is the equation for the total area that is that distance away from a point?)

~Lyuokdea

You need to find the fraction of the 7.5W emitted by the bulb that enters the eye. First calculate the area of the pupil. Then, what do you divide by?

I don't understand this Pave=Ptotal ^2 x 0.5.
The power output (light) is correct. The intensity equation involves a power and an area. What area is of interest here?

robb_ said:
I don't understand this Pave=Ptotal ^2 x 0.5.
The power output (light) is correct. The intensity equation involves a power and an area. What area is of interest here?

Seeing that my class had just finished a chapter on AC circuits, I assumed that I could find the average power from total power by the equation:

(xave)^2= .5*(xmax)^2, which we would use to find rms values and what not. I may be completely flawed in my rational for this.

I more of a bio/organic person...not physical sciences person, obviously :-p

But as far at the area of the pupil, I managed to find that using the area equation of a circle and obtained 5.3x10^-5 m^2. Now that I have the area, I doubted by dividing 7.5W/area would yield the answer, but I know that it yields average intensity.

So, as far as finding the area from the point 2.7m away, I'm still unclear about how to find that area. I thought maybe multiply 2.7m by the diameter?

(xave)^2= .5*(xmax)^2
Okay at least the units work now. But that is the rms value compared to the peak value for a sinusoidal form.

Your lightbulb is transforming 7.5 J electrical energy every second into light ouput. This energy gets spread out in each direction equally, with some assumptions. Does the intensity decrease as you move away from the source?

As you move away from the source, the larger the area that the light emitted would cover, thus, the intensity would in fact decrease, according to the equation Average Intensity = Average Power / Area.

Ok, so I understand that because the source is 2.7m away from the eye, the intensity would be much less that if the source was directly in front of you. With that being said, how does the area that the light covers compare to the area of the pupil? Or doesn't it?

You know the intensity at the eye. Remember that energy per time is power.

Forget intensity, you are interested in power. (Your question doesn't even contain intensity!) The power is radiated by the bulb in all directionss, so you want to find the area of a sphere of radius 2.7m. The ratio of the pupil area to the sphere area gives you the fraction of total power (which you've found) that's intercepted by the eye.

marcusl said:
Forget intensity, you are interested in power. (Your question doesn't even contain intensity!) The power is radiated by the bulb in all directionss, so you want to find the area of a sphere of radius 2.7m. The ratio of the pupil area to the sphere area gives you the fraction of total power (which you've found) that's intercepted by the eye.
I tried doing what you suggested...finding the ratio between the two areas...however it still didn't work! Here were my results:

Area pupil/Area sphere= 2.14x10^-7

2.14x10^-7 * 7.5W= 1.60725E-6 J which is not the correct answer.

Hmm, that's the answer I get, too. Could the book's answer be wrong? Let us know what your teacher says...

marcusl said:
Hmm, that's the answer I get, too. Could the book's answer be wrong? Let us know what your teacher says...

Here's how to answer the problem.

1. Iave=Pave/Area
Iave= (150W*.05)/(4*pi*(2.7m)^2) = 0.08187 W/m^2

2. 0.08187 W/m^2 x (pi*(2.5mm)^2) = Power = 1.6075E-6

I feel better that the answer we got together above is correct! :biggrin:
Thanks for getting back to us.

There are far too many significant digits in the answers given here -- there should be no more than two sig figs in the answer. Answers that are "too precise" but otherwise correct are often rejected by automated grading systems.

- Warren

Related to How Much Energy Enters Your Eye from a Light Bulb?

What is "Energy from Light Bulb"?

"Energy from Light Bulb" refers to the process of converting electrical energy into light energy through the use of a light bulb. This type of energy is commonly used for lighting in homes, buildings, and other structures.

How does a light bulb produce energy?

A light bulb produces energy through a process called incandescence. An electric current flows through a thin wire called a filament, heating it up and causing it to glow and emit light.

What types of light bulbs are commonly used for energy production?

The most commonly used light bulbs for energy production are incandescent bulbs, fluorescent bulbs, and LED bulbs. Each type has its own method of producing light and level of energy efficiency.

How is the energy from a light bulb measured?

Energy from a light bulb is typically measured in watts (W), which is a unit of power. The higher the wattage, the more energy the light bulb consumes and the brighter it will be.

What are some alternative methods for producing energy from light?

In addition to traditional light bulbs, there are also other methods for producing energy from light, such as solar panels and photovoltaic cells. These technologies use the sun's energy to generate electricity, making them a renewable source of energy.

Back