How much energy is consumed in reality in steam compression?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy consumption of real steam compressors in compressing steam from 2.56 kPa to 1 bar at a rate of 1 kg/sec. The theoretical energy consumption for this process is 141 kW assuming 100% efficiency, but in reality, steam is condensed to water and then pumped up to the boiler's working pressure. The energy required for this is usually negligible. The person asking the question does not want to know about the Rankine cycle and is specifically interested in the energy consumption of real steam compressors.
pranj5
I want to know how much energy REAL steam compressors consume in compressing steam @ 1 kg/sec from 2.56 kPa to 1 bar. Theoretically (with `100% efficiency) it's 141 kW for making 1 kg/sec steam flow assuming that the temperature doesn't decrease due to loss of heat as latent heat of vaporization.
Can anybody help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In reality, in a Rankine cycle, steam isn't compressed due to the fact that it requires quite a lot of energy to "pump" a compressible gas such as steam to a higher pressure. In reality, the steam is condensed to water condensate which is subsequently pumped up to the boilers working pressure. The energy required to do this is usually negligible.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I just wanted to clear up any possible misunderstanding.

I don't want to know about Rankine Cycle. Steam compressors are available in reality. I just want to know much energy a REAL steam compressor consumes during the compression operation as I have mentioned in my query. Theoretically it's 141 kW for making 1 kg/sec steam flow (with 100% efficiency).

Related to How much energy is consumed in reality in steam compression?

1. How is energy consumption in steam compression measured?

Energy consumption in steam compression is typically measured in units of kilowatt-hours (kWh), which represent the amount of energy used over time. The energy consumption of a steam compressor can also be measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs) or joules.

2. What factors affect energy consumption in steam compression?

The main factors that affect energy consumption in steam compression are the size and efficiency of the compressor, the temperature and pressure of the steam, and the amount of steam being compressed. Other factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, and maintenance of the compressor can also impact energy consumption.

3. What is the average energy consumption for steam compression?

The average energy consumption for steam compression varies depending on the size and type of compressor, as well as the specific application. However, a rough estimate is that a steam compressor with a capacity of 1000 horsepower consumes approximately 750 kWh of energy per hour.

4. How does energy consumption in steam compression compare to other forms of energy production?

In general, energy consumption in steam compression is higher than other forms of energy production, such as natural gas or wind power. This is because compressing steam requires a significant amount of energy to overcome the high pressure and temperature of the steam.

5. Are there ways to reduce energy consumption in steam compression?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce energy consumption in steam compression, such as using more efficient compressors, optimizing steam pressure and temperature, and implementing regular maintenance and repairs. Additionally, using waste heat recovery systems can also help to reduce energy consumption in steam compression.