How much energy is dissipated as heat via friction?

In summary, Hubert uses a constant force of 100N at an angle of 15 degrees to drag a 55 kg box over a rough surface for 6m. The net work done is 129.6J and the energy dissipated as heat by friction is 450J. To find the final velocity, the work-energy theorem can be used.
dangish
2. Hubert drags a 55 kg box over a rough surface of a dock with a constant force of 100N acting at an angle of 15 degrees to the horizontal. The box moves in a straight line for a distance of 6m. Friction acts at an opposite direction to the block and it is 75N. Calculate the work done to move the box? How much energy is dissipated as heat via friction? What is the final velocity of the box?

Ok so i started W=Fd

Would the force be the forces in the x direction? ie: 100cos15 - 75N ?

Which would give W = (100cos15 - 75) x 6 = 129.6Joules ??

Would that also be the energy dissipated as heat?

If so I could then use that to find the final velocity with E=1/2mv^2

Physics news on Phys.org

dangish said:
2. Hubert drags a 55 kg box over a rough surface of a dock with a constant force of 100N acting at an angle of 15 degrees to the horizontal. The box moves in a straight line for a distance of 6m. Friction acts at an opposite direction to the block and it is 75N. Calculate the work done to move the box? How much energy is dissipated as heat via friction? What is the final velocity of the box?

Ok so i started W=Fd

Would the force be the forces in the x direction? ie: 100cos15 - 75N ?
There are forces in the x and y direction, but you are only intersted in the x direction for this problem, since the forces in the y direction do not do any work. you have correctly calculated the net force in the x direction.
Which would give W = (100cos15 - 75) x 6 = 129.6Joules ??
yes, that is the net (or total) work done by all forces.
Would that also be the energy dissipated as heat?
the problem asks for the energy dissipated as heat by the friction force.
If so I could then use that to find the final velocity with E=1/2mv^2
Use what to find the final velocity (please clarify)?

So to find the energy dissipated by friction I should go W= 75 x 6 ??

dangish said:
So to find the energy dissipated by friction I should go W= 75 x 6 ??
Yes!

Then what about the final velocity? I know I have to use E=1/2mv^2

But It doesn't seem right to use the energy dissipated by the friction force

dangish said:
Then what about the final velocity? I know I have to use E=1/2mv^2

But It doesn't seem right to use the energy dissipated by the friction force
You are correct in that it doesn't seem right to just use the dissipated energy from friction, so instead, use the work-energy theorem to solve for the final KE.

Related to How much energy is dissipated as heat via friction?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the movement or sliding of two objects that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces in contact and the interlocking of microscopic bumps on the surfaces.

2. How is energy dissipated as heat via friction?

When two objects are in contact and move against each other, the energy of the moving object is transferred to the surface it is in contact with. This energy is then converted into heat due to the frictional force acting on the surfaces. The amount of energy dissipated as heat depends on the force of friction, the speed of movement, and the surface properties of the objects.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated as heat via friction?

The amount of energy dissipated as heat via friction is affected by several factors including the force of friction, the speed of movement, and the surface properties of the objects. Additionally, the weight of the objects, the type of motion (sliding, rolling, or stationary), and the temperature also play a role in determining the amount of energy dissipated.

4. Can friction ever be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs whenever two objects are in contact and moving against each other. However, the amount of friction can be reduced through the use of lubricants or by using smoother surfaces.

5. How is friction useful?

Friction is useful in many everyday situations. It allows us to walk without slipping, drive a car, and hold objects without them slipping out of our hands. Friction also plays a crucial role in many industrial processes such as braking systems, polishing, and manufacturing processes.