How Much Energy Is Lost Due to Air Drag in Ski Jumping?

In summary, the skier loses 5015 J of mechanical energy due to air drag from the launch to the return to the ground. This is calculated by finding the difference between the kinetic energy of the skier without air drag and the kinetic energy of the skier with air drag. This is because KE is a square function of velocity, and therefore simply finding the difference in velocity and using that in the KE equation will not give the correct answer.
ViewtifulBeau
A 49kg skier leaves the end of a ski-jump ramp with a velocity of 28 m/s directed 22o above the horizantal. Suppose that as a result of air drag the skier returns to the ground with a speed of 17 m/s, landing 10 meters vertically below the ramp. From the launch to the return to the ground, by how much is the mechanical energy of the skier-Earth system reduced because of air drag?

first i found the velocity the skier should have without air drag (31.3075 m/s). then i found the difference between 31.3075 and the actual speed 17m/s. then i used that number and plugged it into 1/2 m v^2 = KE to find the energy lost due to air resistance. 5015 J... this isn't right though. what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ViewtifulBeau said:
first i found the velocity the skier should have without air drag (31.3075 m/s). then i found the difference between 31.3075 and the actual speed 17m/s. then i used that number and plugged it into 1/2 m v^2 = KE to find the energy lost due to air resistance. 5015 J... this isn't right though. what did i do wrong?

You shouldn't calculate the difference in velocity and then the corresponding hypothetical KE, you should take the difference between the 2 KE (with and without drag).

cheers,
Patrick.

Why: because KE is a square function of velocity, and therefore finding the difference in velocity and plugging that into the KE equation will give the wrong answer.

Related to How Much Energy Is Lost Due to Air Drag in Ski Jumping?

What is air drag?

Air drag is a force that acts opposite to the motion of an object as it moves through the air. It is caused by air particles colliding with the surface of the object, creating a resistance force.

How does air drag affect energy?

Air drag reduces the energy of an object by converting its kinetic energy (energy of motion) into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound. This results in a decrease in the object's speed and eventual stoppage.

What factors affect the amount of energy reduced by air drag?

The amount of energy reduced by air drag depends on several factors, including the velocity of the object, the surface area of the object, and the density of the air. Objects with higher velocities, larger surface areas, and denser air will experience greater energy reduction due to air drag.

Can air drag be beneficial?

While air drag is often seen as a negative force, it can also be beneficial in certain situations. For example, air resistance can help slow down an object that is falling from a great height, reducing its impact force. Additionally, air drag can be used in sports such as skydiving and bobsledding to control speed and direction.

How can air drag be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the effects of air drag on an object. These include streamlining the object's shape to reduce its surface area, using materials with low friction to reduce air resistance, and utilizing aerodynamic designs to redirect air flow. Additionally, increasing the object's velocity can also help minimize the impact of air drag.