How Much Extra Should You Pay Someone Who Helped Secure Your Full Deposit?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses hiring someone to help clean an apartment and receiving a full deposit back with their assistance. The person is wondering how much extra money to give and it is suggested to give an extra $10 per hour or half of the deposit or difference. Tips are seen as a way to acknowledge going the extra mile.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hired someone to help me clean up the apartment from which I recently moved out. He did a good job working with me and I received my full deposit back; he had more training in full cleaning than I did and led the way much of the time. I feel I should give him some extra money for his help in getting a full refund. How much should I give him, and what should the amount I give depend on?

Last edited:
Likes Medicol and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Tips for me are all about going the extra mile. It appear this person did so it's nice to offer. I would think about an extra $10 per hour.

Likes Medicol
One could give half of the deposit, or half of the difference between the full deposit and whatever one would have received without the help.

Likes Medicol

FAQ: How Much Extra Should You Pay Someone Who Helped Secure Your Full Deposit?

1. What factors should be considered when deciding on a reward?

When determining what kind of reward to give, it is important to consider the budget, the nature of the task or achievement, and the preferences of the recipient. It is also beneficial to think about the potential impact of the reward on motivation and morale.

2. Should the reward be tangible or intangible?

This depends on the individual and the situation. Tangible rewards, such as gift cards or physical objects, can provide a sense of immediate gratification. Intangible rewards, such as public recognition or extra vacation days, can have a longer-lasting impact on motivation and job satisfaction.

3. Is it better to have a predetermined reward system or to tailor the reward to the individual?

Both options have their benefits. A predetermined reward system can provide consistency and fairness, but tailoring the reward to the individual can show that their specific contributions are valued and recognized.

4. How can non-monetary rewards be effective?

Non-monetary rewards can be just as effective as monetary rewards, as they can tap into intrinsic motivation. Examples of non-monetary rewards include flexible work hours, opportunities for professional development, and personalized thank-you notes.

5. Can rewards have a negative impact on motivation?

If rewards are given too frequently or are perceived as unfair or unequal, they can have a negative impact on motivation. It is important to ensure that rewards are given in a timely and fair manner, and that they align with the values and goals of the organization.