How Much Force Can a Human Femur Withstand Before Breaking?

In summary: If you start with the stress you don't need to calculate the force at all, as that is not what's asked. In summary, the Young's modulus for bone is 1.5x10^10 N/m^2 and the max force that can be exerted on the femur with an effective diameter of 2.5cm is 73631N. If this force is applied compressively, the 25cm long bone will shorten by 0.0025m.
UrbanXrisis
Young's modulus for bone is 1.5x10^10 N/m^2 and that bone will fracture if more than 1.5X10^8 N/m^2 is exerted.

What is the max force that can be exerted on the femur if the effective diameter is 2.5cm?

[tex]Y=F/A[/tex]
[tex]1.50x10^8N/m^2 =\frac{F}{\pi (0.0125m^2)^2}[/tex]
[tex]F=73631N[/tex]

is that correct?

if this force is applied compressively, by how much does the 25cm long bone shorten?

[tex]\Delta L=\frac{FL}{AY}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta L=\frac{73631N*0.25m}{\pi (0.0125m^2)^2 * 1.5x10^{10} N/m^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta L=0.0025m[/tex]

I think I did some of this wrong but I'm not sure how to approch these problems. Any guidance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
[tex]Y=F/A[/tex]
[tex]1.50x10^8N/m^2 =\frac{F}{\pi (0.0125m^2)^2}[/tex]
[tex]F=73631N[/tex]

is that correct?
Yes. But realize that 1.5x10^8 N/m^2 is not Y (which stands for Young's modulus) but is the maximum stress the bone can support. (Stress = F/A). Also: round off to a sensible number of significant figures.

if this force is applied compressively, by how much does the 25cm long bone shorten?

[tex]\Delta L=\frac{FL}{AY}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta L=\frac{73631N*0.25m}{\pi (0.0125m^2)^2 * 1.5x10^{10} N/m^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta L=0.0025m[/tex]
Looks good. But realize you could have saved a bit of arithmetic by starting with the maximum stress (F/A) instead of the force.

so what was the point in giving me [tex]1.5X10^8 N/m^2[/tex]? Was that to throw me off?

I don't understand your question. You were given two numbers: max stress and Young's modulus. You used them both.

Related to How Much Force Can a Human Femur Withstand Before Breaking?

1. What is Young's modulus for bone?

Young's modulus for bone is a measure of its stiffness or elasticity. It describes how much a bone will deform under a given amount of stress or force applied to it.

2. How is Young's modulus measured for bone?

Young's modulus is typically measured through a process called tensile testing, where a bone sample is subjected to tension until it breaks. The amount of stress and strain (deformation) applied to the bone is recorded, and Young's modulus can be calculated from these values.

3. What factors can affect Young's modulus for bone?

The main factors that can affect Young's modulus for bone include age, gender, and health status. Older individuals tend to have lower Young's modulus due to decreased bone density. Gender can also play a role, as females tend to have lower Young's modulus than males. Certain medical conditions, such as osteoporosis, can also affect the stiffness of bones.

4. How does Young's modulus for bone compare to other materials?

In general, Young's modulus for bone falls in the same range as other materials such as wood, plastic, and other biological tissues. However, bone is unique in its ability to adapt and remodel in response to mechanical stress, making it a highly efficient material for supporting the body.

5. Why is Young's modulus important for bone?

Young's modulus is important for bone because it helps us understand the mechanical properties of this vital tissue. It plays a key role in determining the strength and stiffness of bones, which are crucial for supporting the body and protecting internal organs. Understanding Young's modulus can also help in the diagnosis and treatment of bone-related diseases and injuries.