How much force is needed to move the crate?

• Thread starter axlg38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about finding the amount of force needed to push a crate at an angle of 21° below the horizontal. The crate weighs 38 kg and has a coefficient of static friction of 0.57 with the ground. The person attempting the problem has drawn a free body diagram and identified the forces they know (F, Fk, and Fn) and are missing. They have also been advised to make a list of what they know and don't know, and to create equations to solve for the missing forces. The conversation ends with the person being prompted to solve the equations simultaneously.
axlg38

Homework Statement

Someone pushes a crate with a force F at 21° below the horizontal. The crate weights 38 kg, and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the ground is .57. Find the amount of force needed to move the crate.

Homework Equations

f=ma
Fs=([itex]\mu[/itex]s)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i tried to find Fn, so i multiplied the mass by 10, and got 380N. Then i added Fsin21 to find Fn...thats about as far as i got haha i don't know what to do after that. i know i need F, but i don't know how to find what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know the value of the frictional force.
What force must just be a little bit greater than this frictional force?

axlg38 said:

Homework Statement

Someone pushes a crate with a force F at 21° below the horizontal. The crate weights 38 kg, and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the ground is .57. Find the amount of force needed to move the crate.

Homework Equations

f=ma
Fs=([itex]\mu[/itex]s)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i tried to find Fn, so i multiplied the mass by 10, and got 380N. Then i added Fsin21 to find Fn...thats about as far as i got haha i don't know what to do after that. i know i need F, but i don't know how to find what it is.

If you haven't done so, I recommend drawing a free body diagram (FBD). It will help you to visualize what you need.

Also, make a list of what you know and what you don't know.

Can you construct the same number of equations as your unknowns?

the force you need to push with?

im not exactly sure what i need to know to solve this haha

axlg38 said:
im not exactly sure what i need to know to solve this haha

Like I mentioned above, draw out a FBD with your forces. It will help you to see what you need to solve for.

already had it drawn out, the only things i seem to be missing are F, Fk, and Fn

axlg38 said:
the force you need to push with?
The force you push is at 21 below horizontal. But I asked for the force just to balance the friction and the if two forces are to balance each other they have to be opposite in dir.
Follow advice given and draw the FBD.

i did, to the best of my ability

axlg38 said:
already had it drawn out, the only things i seem to be missing are F, Fk, and Fn

Alright. Remember that there is no acceleration up or down (since the ground is solid). What does this mean to the forces in the vertical direction? Can you write out an equation showing this relation?

What are you looking for in the horizontal direction? Can you write out a relation with the forces you know to create this?

Once you have these 2 equations, solve them simultaneously.

FAQ: How much force is needed to move the crate?

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to measure the amount of push or pull needed to change the motion of an object.

2. How is force related to moving a crate?

In order to move a crate, a force must be applied to overcome the friction between the crate and the surface it is on.

3. How do you calculate the force needed to move a crate?

The force needed to move a crate is calculated by multiplying the crate's mass by the acceleration needed to move it.

4. What factors affect the force needed to move a crate?

The factors that affect the force needed to move a crate include the crate's mass, the type of surface it is on, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface.

5. How can the force needed to move a crate be reduced?

The force needed to move a crate can be reduced by using a lubricant on the surface, reducing the crate's mass, or using a ramp to decrease the angle of incline.

Back