How much heat flows through a brick wall with different thermal conductivities?

In summary: I can give you the answer.In summary, a brick has a thermal conductivity of 1.10 J/(s.m.degreesC), styrofoam insulation has a thermal conductivity of .010 J/(s.m.degreesC), and if the temperature on one side of a brick wall is 500 degrees C and the outside temp is 25 degrees C, then heat flows through one square meter of the wall in one minute. If the outside temp is 30 degrees C, then heat flows through one square meter of the wall in one minute.
goofnewf

Homework Statement

A Brick is 8cm think and has a thermal conductivity of 1.10 J/(s.m.degreesC). Styrofoam insulation is 3cm thick and has a thermal conductivity of .010 J/(s.m.degreesC). The bricks are used to line a furnace
a) if the temperature on one side of the brick wall is 500 degrees C and the outside Temp is 25 Degrees C, how much heat flows through one square meter of the wall in one minute?
b) now redo the problem with the outside of the wall in one minute?

Homework Equations

deltaQ/ delt T = K x Area x delta T/ L

The Attempt at a Solution

A) delta T = 500-25= 475 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the temperature between the brick and styrofoam layers is T2. What's the rate of heat flow between the two sides of the brick? Between the two sides of the styrofoam? At equilibrium, these two rates have to be equal, which will allow you to solve for T2.

Can you work this out for me please, and show me the answers.

No, because that won't help you understand the relevant concepts. We're here to help you learn, not to give you answers to homework problems.

it's not a homwork question. I have an exam and it's a question from a past one

anyone else?

Forum policy does not permit simply giving answers or doing the work for others; those who do so are in breach of the rules, and could lose their access.

What we can do is help to clarify concepts, point out errors or where you've gone off track in work shown, or suggest strategies with hints. It is essential that you make an attempt first.

You've already stated a valid equation in the Relevant Equations section of your first post. What will applying it with the supplied values give you?

if anyone can help me please inbox me

Related to How much heat flows through a brick wall with different thermal conductivities?

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a material without any net movement of the material itself. This is due to the collisions of particles within the material transferring thermal energy.

What is convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids (liquids or gases). This can occur through natural convection, where the fluid is heated and rises, or forced convection, where the fluid is moved by an external force.

What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Unlike conduction and convection, radiation does not require a medium and can occur through a vacuum.

How is heat transfer measured?

Heat transfer is measured using the unit of energy, joules. The rate of heat transfer is measured in watts, which is equal to one joule per second. This can be measured using devices such as thermometers, heat flux sensors, and infrared cameras.