How much heat is converted into work?

In summary: J*(4.5 105*Pa) BC = J*(4.0 103*m3) CA = J*(4.0 10-3*m3) So the work done is;AB = J*(4.5 105*Pa) BC = J*(4.0 103*m3) CA = J*(4.0 10-3*m3) = J*(24.5 105*m3)
iceT
1) Five thousand joules of heat is put into a Carnot engine whose hot and cold reservoirs have temperatures of 500 and 250 K, respectively. How much heat is converted into work?

here's what i did...
i know that... QC / QH = TC / TH
W = 5000, Tc = 250, Th = 500, Qh = ?, Qc = ?

first I found Qh , which = (eCarnot = W/Qh) ----- and solve for Qh and get (Qh = W/eCarnot) ------eCarnot also equals [1-(Tc/Th)] = [1-( 250 / 500 ) ] = 0.5
so Qh = W / [1-(Tc/Th) = 5000 / 0.5 = 10000
after I got Qh I used the equation (Qc = Qh - W) to solve for Qc and this should be the answer...
Qc = Qh - W = 10000-5000 = 5000 , so Qc = 5000 ...but it still wrong :cry:

2) The pressure and volume of a gas are changed along a path ABCA in the figure. The vertical divisions on the graph represent 4.5 105 Pa, and the horizontal divisions represent 4.0 10-3 m3. Determine the work done (including algebraic sign) in each segment of the path.

cj6_p15-10alt.gif

a ) A to B = ? J
b ) B to C = ? J
c ) C to A = ? J

This question..i know that W= P ( Vf-Vi )
but i still can't locate the dots on the graph! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
For question one the maximum efficencey of a carnot engine is given by;

[tex]1 - \frac{T_{C}}{T_{H}}[/tex]

This will give you a fraction. This in the fraction of the energy which can be used (i.e. work done). So all you need to do is multiply the input energy ([itex]Q_{H}[/itex]) by this fractional efficency.

-Hoot:smile:

iceT said:
1) Five thousand joules of heat is put into a Carnot engine whose hot and cold reservoirs have temperatures of 500 and 250 K, respectively. How much heat is converted into work?
The 5000 J. of heat represents Qh not W.

W = .5 Qh = 2500 J.

So only 2500 J of the 5000 is converted into work.

2) The pressure and volume of a gas are changed along a path ABCA in the figure. The vertical divisions on the graph represent 4.5 105 Pa, and the horizontal divisions represent 4.0 10-3 m3. Determine the work done (including algebraic sign) in each segment of the path.

a ) A to B = ? J
b ) B to C = ? J
c ) C to A = ? J

This question..i know that W= P ( Vf-Vi )
but i still can't locate the dots on the graph! :confused:
The work done is the area under the graph between those points.

AM

FAQ: How much heat is converted into work?

1. What is the definition of heat and work in thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one system to another due to a temperature difference. Work is a measure of energy transfer that occurs when a force acts on an object and causes it to move.

2. How is the conversion of heat into work described in thermodynamics?

The conversion of heat into work is described by the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that heat will naturally flow from hot to cold objects, and some of the heat can be converted into work.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of the conversion of heat into work?

The efficiency of the conversion of heat into work is affected by the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink, the properties of the working fluid, and the design of the heat engine. A larger temperature difference and a higher working fluid efficiency will result in a higher conversion efficiency.

4. How is the conversion of heat into work measured?

The conversion of heat into work is measured using a device called a heat engine, which utilizes the expansion and compression of a working fluid to convert heat into work. The efficiency of the heat engine is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input.

5. Can all heat be converted into work?

No, not all heat can be converted into work. According to the second law of thermodynamics, some of the heat will always be lost in the conversion process. This is due to the fact that heat naturally flows from hot to cold objects, and some of it is not able to be converted into work.