How much is popping into and out of

• Thread starter udtsith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual particles popping in and out of existence in space. The question is raised about how much mass is involved in this process, and the potential for calculating this based on the volume of the universe. The possibility of virtual particles being similar to real particles is also mentioned.
udtsith
If you took the entire volume of space...how much mass is popping into and out of existence at anyone time?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Zero.

I thought there were virtual particles popping into and out of a existence...my thought process was that if we could know how many pop into/out of in a cubic meter of space you could multiply that times the volume of the universe and then get an interesting fact...e.g. the size of a baseball/every second ... or am I completely wrong in my understanding? from wiki, it seems that virtual particles do exist and act like real particles the longer they exist. I don't know.

Related to How much is popping into and out of

1. How does popping into and out of work?

Popping into and out of, also known as quantum fluctuation, is a concept in quantum mechanics where particles can spontaneously appear in empty space and then disappear again. This phenomenon is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and is a fundamental aspect of the uncertainty principle.

2. Is popping into and out of a real phenomenon?

Yes, popping into and out of is a real phenomenon that has been observed and studied in quantum mechanics. It is an essential aspect of understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

3. Can we control the process of popping into and out of?

No, popping into and out of is a natural and spontaneous process that cannot be controlled or manipulated by humans. It occurs at the quantum level and is not influenced by external factors.

4. How is popping into and out of related to the concept of virtual particles?

Popping into and out of is closely related to the concept of virtual particles, which are particles that appear and disappear in a vacuum. These virtual particles are a result of the energy fluctuations that occur due to quantum uncertainty.

5. What is the significance of popping into and out of in quantum mechanics?

Popping into and out of is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics that helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the concept of quantum tunneling and the creation of matter and antimatter.